How long should it take salt to dissolve

perchpsk

I've been trying to get my salt to disslove for 3 days now and it still isnt dissolving in the water. I mixed 15 gallons of water with the appropriate amount of salt in a container with a powerhead and a heater.
After 3 days there is still a lot of salt in the bottom of the container. Is this normal or do I have some bad salt? It is Instant Ocean salt and Ive had the bag about 5 months.

rcbruce

OK, new problem to me. I use instant ocean and never have a problem. You have a powerhead mixing. Did you try stirring up the bottom to help it along? if that doesn't do it, I would dump it out and start over. Not normal here, salt should desolve instantly.

perchpsk

Yeah I have been going back and stirring up the bottom every few hours. The powerhead blows all of the extra salt over to one side of the container, then I re-mix and it still wont dissolve. I tested the water parameters and everything comes up ok, so I dont know if I need to dump it out or not.

mrdc

Not sure why it's not dissolving. I use IO also and I move the power head around some to blow the salt off the bottom but I only have to do that once or twice and all of it's dissolved. Don't know if salt can be bad?

chipmaker

Let me take a guess here.....Was rthe salt you had vacuumm packed in a polastic bag with the brand name of Instant Ocean all over it or just a plain platic bag with readily loose salt which moved freely in the bag?
Seems IO did make some changes on their salt and what you have is some old old packaged salt. I took this issue up with my LFS who did not belive me, and would do nothing about it except tell me I should have brought it back if I was dissatisifed........duh kinf of hard to return an empty box, but how do you return the salt when you used it to make a large batch of water up? ANyway I called the Instant Ocean folks... They were kind of generic in any rely, but the residue you see is NOT salt nor is it any trace elements as the individual that I talked to seemed to be implying. So I really never got what I consider a satisfactory answer but merely told it was still ok to use and will not affect salinity or water makeup ingredients one way or another, which is basically telling me its a inert filler they probably got cheap and decided to add it to the mix.......I still am not done with the residue issue as I do belive I have a right to know if I am adding stuff that will continue to build up and I want to know what this stuff is......I was told I had to talk to a certain individual, who was at that time not available to talk to so its on my list to do today and talk to him hopefully.
I also found out that there wa a large aquarium and pet supply distributor that went out of business, and a lot of their stock was sold off very very cheap to lfs......thats where my lfs got the salt I had from.
Plain and simple youy got old old stock .

perchpsk

Thanks for the reply Chip.
It sounds like they add some "filler" to make a 5 lb bag of salt out of 4 lbs of salt.
The bag I am using is a single 5lb bag with the big "Instant Ocean" and a clownfish on the front. I also bought a box of 5 lb bags that have no labeling on the front. I am throwing out the remainder of the open bag and starting to use the unlabeled bags.
Thanks for the info.