how long was your cycle?

yetex

I have been testing everyday waiting on the cycle and was wondering how long it took your guys tanks to cycle. Mine is a 75 gallon with like 71 lbs of rock

yetex

and when did you guys add the clean up crew. My lfs told me that i should add them around 2 weeks into cycle. I think you guys recommend waiting till cycle is complete which i will do but was wondering about your views on this?

jferrier

definately wait till the cycle is over. Cycle time can vary greatly.
My first setup from scratch took almost 1-1/2 months to cycle.
My second which used about 30 lbs lr from the first setup and 1/2 live aragonite from the store mixed w/ 1/2 of my first sand bed took less than 2 weeks. I began testing levels at 15 days and showed nothing. I continued testing for another 2 weeks and never got any readings.

aqua blue

My tank took about 4 and 1/2 weeks to cycle. I used a product called "cycle" which kept my peak levels low.(Advice from local fish store).
When I set up my QT/HT tank I let it cycle without any additives and the peak levels were much higher and more noticeable on the test kits. That "natural" cycle took about 4 weeks.
I think I wasted $$ on the additives the first time but I was following local fish store advice and using damsels to cycle and I wanted to keep the levels low to help the fish.
Take your time and save your $$$$.
Enjoy:D

flamingkingofhe

when i set my tank up i ran the tank for 2 days with all the chems in and the filters and lights on and then i added a snowflake eel 2 days later and he cycled it just fine for me and didnt die