How Long Will Corals Live In Low Light?

gwh57

Originally Posted by Firstborn
How long would a typical coral andor anenome live under standard florescent lighting?
That would depend on the coral. I have xenia growing in my refug with a 40W 55k bulb. That is where I keep my frags.

wangotango

well what type of coral are you talking about? my first reef (29g) had 40w of standard flourescent lighting and i had some leathers, shrooms, and star polyps. they all did fine for the two years that tank was going, and they're all in my 55 now. most hard corals would not last more than a month or so without at least bleaching i would imagine. remember that most corals are photosynthetic and need good lighting to survive.
-Justin

firstborn

Originally Posted by WangoTango
well what type of coral are you talking about? my first reef (29g) had 40w of standard flourescent lighting and i had some leathers, shrooms, and star polyps. they all did fine for the two years that tank was going, and they're all in my 55 now. most hard corals would not last more than a month or so without at least bleaching i would imagine. remember that most corals are photosynthetic and need good lighting to survive.
-Justin
Not so much hard corals. I am more interested in leathers, shrooms, anenomes, and maybe clams.
I have 2 15W florescent strips in an 80G. I do not want to make the jump to a higher end system, largely because of the monthly electric bill. If I could get a couple of years out of the corals, I would be okay with it.

wangotango

clams and anemones are OUT OF THE QUESTION. neither will survive under standard flourescent tubes. mushrooms, zoos, xenia, and most leathers will probably be fine. i would upgrade to at least a few power compacts. the only type of lighting system that will really kill you with the electric bill would be halides. most flourescent fixtures are really not that expensive to run.
-Justin

firstborn

clams and anemones are OUT OF THE QUESTION. neither will survive under standard flourescent tubes. mushrooms, zoos, xenia, and most leathers will probably be fine. i would upgrade to at least a few power compacts. the only type of lighting system that will really kill you with the electric bill would be halides. most flourescent fixtures are really not that expensive to run.
-Justin
Would power compacts let me run clams and anemones?
When you say OUT OF THE QUESTION, how much time are we talking? How long would you estimate they would live?

dragonzim

Would power compacts let me run clams and anemones?
When you say OUT OF THE QUESTION, how much time are we talking? How long would you estimate they would live?
Not long enough to be worth the price.... If you're main concern is your electric bill, you should look at a T5 setup. Much better light than a power compact without the electricity bill of Halides.

firstborn

Originally Posted by DragonZim
Not long enough to be worth the price.... If you're main concern is your electric bill, you should look at a T5 setup. Much better light than a power compact without the electricity bill of Halides.
Do you think clams and anenomes would survive in my tank with T5's?
I have an 80G 48" long.
What size system should I get?

wangotango

Do you think clams and anenomes would survive in my tank with T5's?
I have an 80G 48" long.
What size system should I get?
how deep is your tank? i have 270w (5 54w bulbs) of T5 on my 55 and i keep clams and sps. there is no point in buying coral to have for a short period of time, especially with the crisis with so many natural reefs. T5 is definately your answer. most fixtures are expensive to buy, but you will save a lot of money in the long run. one of the best brands is aquactinics. if you want to save money and are handy id go with an icecap retrofit. please dont buy anything that needs more lighting than you have now.
-Justin

firstborn

how deep is your tank? i have 270w (5 54w bulbs) of T5 on my 55 and i keep clams and sps. there is no point in buying coral to have for a short period of time, especially with the crisis with so many natural reefs. T5 is definately your answer. most fixtures are expensive to buy, but you will save a lot of money in the long run. one of the best brands is aquactinics. if you want to save money and are handy id go with an icecap retrofit. please dont buy anything that needs more lighting than you have now.
-Justin
Would I need 48" length bulbs? I am not sure how deep my tank is, I am at work right now.
Can I get a complete system for less than $400.00?

teen

if your going to spend the money on the expensive clams and anemones, why not make sure they live and by the expensive lighting. it will save you a lot of troubles down the road.

wangotango

Would I need 48" length bulbs? I am not sure how deep my tank is, I am at work right now.
Can I get a complete system for less than $400.00?
yes 48" bulbs. the fixture alone will run you about $400, and you will need to spend more on bulbs too. i dont think you can realisticly spend less than $500 with the fixture and the bulbs. you could spend about $400 on a pc fixture or VHO retrofit, but you would be more limited in the coral that you could keep. T5 would be ideal as far as output and maintainance cost, but pc or vho are always something to fall back on until you can afford to upgrade.
-Justin

firstborn

yes 48" bulbs. the fixture alone will run you about $400, and you will need to spend more on bulbs too. i dont think you can realisticly spend less than $500 with the fixture and the bulbs. you could spend about $400 on a pc fixture or VHO retrofit, but you would be more limited in the coral that you could keep. T5 would be ideal as far as output and maintainance cost, but pc or vho are always something to fall back on until you can afford to upgrade.
-Justin
Should I go with a 6 bulb system or 8 bulb system?
Would you recommend any of the lights to be Actinics?

viper_930

Could you provide an average range?
6 months on the low end? 1 year on the high end?
1 month on the high end would be more accurate. That is, assuming your water quality is perfect.
The Tek 48" 6 lamp T5 light would cost you about $500 or less and you can keep corals plus some clams and anemones without waiting for them to die of starvation. The 8 lamp fixture would be a much better decision though, while tacking on another 100 bucks or so.

firstborn

Originally Posted by ViPeR_930
1 month on the high end would be more accurate. That is, assuming your water quality is perfect.
The Tek 48" 6 lamp T5 light would cost you about $500 or less and you can keep corals plus some clams and anemones without waiting for them to die of starvation. The 8 lamp fixture would be a much better decision though, while tacking on another 100 bucks or so.
Would a 4 lamp system really be enough for me (80 gallon, 48" long). Or would I need a 6 or 8 lamp system?

nigerbang

Just to throw this out here..I havent seen any increase in my power bill with the MH's versus without them. Then again I only have one but its a 400watt..

stanlalee

you can get dual name brand 250w retro MH for well under $400 (and a cheap exhaust fan for the whole $400 bulbs included). Course you need a canopy but thats about the easiest do it yourself thing there is if you dont use one already. electric bill is a non issue. my bill went down $10 since I put in MH because the changes in weather and use of heating/ac makes more difference in my bill than additional lighting cost.

firstborn

You would need to have 2 of these systems to do it right, IMHO.
Because of quarantine.
I will never put anything in my display tank that has not been quarantined. Fish, invert, rock, etc. Once you have battled with Ich, you will know what I mean.
I would have to have another system on my quarantine tank to quarantine the corals before they go in. While Ich does not host on corals, it is possible a parasite could be resting on one. Also, the water transporting the corals could be contaminated.