how long??

mopar9012

growing critters you mean?
Nothing like a coral is going to grow out of the rocks. Maybe a hitchhiker. You might have some critters that hid in the rocks and might come out later.
Dont't add anything until you cycle.

txmedic1

i've had my 90 gallon for about 6 weeks, finally getting some good color in the live rock and copapods in the refuge. finally got numbers (ph/ammonia/nitrite/nitrate) in good levels about 2 weeks ago. my suggestion, do your weekly water changes (20%) and forget about the tank for about 4 weeks, then do a water test. make sure you rinse rock off good evertime you do a water change. good luck.

shawna marie

Sorry to reply with this, but I am new to this site and have read through everything and can't figure out how to post!!!! My only option is to reply to posts. Could someone please give me a little advice, I would really appreciate it!! I have been reading the forums and would like to join in wihtout having to reply to others postings. Thanks!!

sexyfishers

rinsing the rock? I havent heard that before, but owell. Weekly water changes are recommended, but if you use tap water DONT. It is best to use RO or Distilled water. Make sure your skimmer is plugged in and clean it every day or two (the collection cup). You have to wait to cycle. Usually 4 weeks, but wait about 6 before you add anything into the tank. I have pc coral life actnic lighting vho and some of my rock is looking better than other of it. 1/2 of it has been there 5-6 weeks the other 1/2 bout 3 weeks. What I put in last, looks best, but I just got the vho bulbs. I haven't seen any critters other than a couple of snails that I noticed when I bought it.

sexyfishers

shawna.. I will tell you, but in future you will get flamed if you bardge in on someone else's post with your own question. Up at the top of the board, to the left it will say, "start a thread" you can name it what you like, type your ? etc.

sexyfishers

oops.. I should add this.. you have to be in the forum that you wish to post.. ie, new hobbyist, photography, fish ?s etc. welcome to the boards! Lots of great people here that pretty much been there done that and glad to help._ Tonia :happyfish

txmedic1

first off, during my curing/cycling stages, i never really set my rocks they way they would be permentley. when i did my water changes, i would remove the rocks, rinse them off well, then using various tools, get all the "nasties" out of the nooks and crannies. after about 4 weeks, i did my first water test, and it was excellent.
http://www.livestockusa.org/CURING.html
no disrespect to SWF, this link is for educational purposes only, honest. txmedic1

jrandolph1

You don't have to physically remove it and rinse it though. Just get a turkey baster and stick it in the tank, fill it with water and use it to "blow off" the rocks. If you have the proper filtration for your tank it should filter out the nastys. Also if you do regular weekly water changes you just have to do 5%. My tank has been up and running for 2 years and that has sufficed nicely. Don't do too much in the begining or you will get burned out too quickly and probably burned in one way or another. Good Luck and remember that pactiance is the key.

aztec reef

Actually you don't have to do ANYTHING untill cycle has been done (3-4 weeks) you won't see anything growing in the meantime(other then algea blooms)

earlybird

I saw a few sponges within a few days of adding my rock. Week 2 I got diatom algae and it was gone in 4 days followed by hair algae. Later that week I have pods. So far thats it for hitchhikers for me. Hoping to see some more, hopefully all good.

aztec reef

yeah you should have living things since day one cause we're are talking about liverock. That's why you should keep Ammonia under 1 so that the fittest of those critters make it through.