How many bulkheads is TOO many?

I have an oceanic 30 gallon cube in the works . . . . I will be getting the back glass drilled for drain lines, return lines, and a CL intake.
This would entail a total of (1) 1.5" drain line, (2) 1" return lines drill on either side of the overflow, and (1) 1" CL intake for a total of 4 drilled holes (not sure where yet, but it won't be directly in line with any other hole).
Is this too many holes for a 20" x 20" x 5/16" sheet of glass?

Thats kinda what I thought . . . I don't want to take any chances. Back to the drawing board . . . .

thegrog

I agree. You are probably pushing it with that many holes in a smaller tank. The more holes you have, the weaker the glass on that side will be and the greater chance for failure...not to mention leaks around the bulkheads.
Consider a corner overflow with a bulkhead drilled in the bottom for the drain line.

acrylic51

I wouldn't really be concerned about leaky bulkheads.....If that is an issue use sched 80 bulkheads, but in turn your holes will have to be larger than sched 40.......

Yeah, the leaky bulkheads isn't really a concern, its more about the structural integrity of the glass.
I have decided that I am going to use a single 1" drain with an external durso standpipe. The returns are going to have to come up over the back glass.
I will still drill a second hole though for the CL intake.

acrylic51

Why so big on the drain hole???? Maybe if you scale the hole size down it might be doable depending the locations of the holes.

acrylic51

1.5 is huge for something of that size.......If your only using 1" for your CL I don't see why you'd want 1.5 for a drain.....you could use a smaller bulkhead, but increase your durso stand pipe sizing.....Have you read his study work on pipe sizing and flow capacities on different size piping?

I'm actually planning on using a 1" bulkhead for the drain instead of the 1.5" . . . I realized that would have been overkill.

acrylic51

Honestly if it was me with the smaller holes I'd go for it.....I don't think you'll have a problem just space them out......and not close to the edges.....JMO

when you say smaller holes, what size are you referring to?
What about using a 1" drain and two 3/4" returns on either side of the overflow?
I have to stick with the 1" CL intake though.

acrylic51

Those hole sizes would be plenty IMO.....I would try it.....I don't think you'll have any problems.....Just drill slowly.

I guess I'll give it a whirl . . . . we'll see where it gets me. I think I am going to use some heavy duty bulkheads to be safe though (assuming the glass doesn't break while drilling!)

acrylic51

Get the bulkheads ahead of time....I'm sure you know sched 80 bulkheads are a little bigger than sched 40......That way you can use the bulkhead as a template and drill accordingly......