How Many Clown Fish In A Tank?

broken_tusk

IM working on getting a 125G tank.
I would like to make it into a reef tank with only Clown fish as far as fish goes.
Since the tank is not so small is it ok to mix clowns?
If it is not ok to mix clowns,then how many clowns can I have of the same breed?

jeepboy

From what I've read, mixing different clowns is not a good idea, but it probably depends a lot on the type of clowns. We had 2 Clarkii clowns and they behave much differently than the percula clowns. As far as number of one type, hopefully Bang or someelse can answer that question.

S

spsaddict

what are the dimensions of this tank? how many anemonies are you going to have.. if you had alot of roses you could get 6 clowns, imo id go with percs, as clarki,tomato, maroon, ect are quite agreesive once they mature. as far as mixxing goes same thing applies alot of them get quite agressive and wont tollerate others in there area.. a good book is julian sprungs clownfish. look for that to get alot of great info about each species as well as what anemones they host..
hth
spsaddict

J

jacob_poly

Do Not mix clowns.....my experience was especially bad.....clarkii ripped tomato and tomato ripped ocellaris. Managed to separate them....but you dont want to attempt it...trust me....

bang guy

I advise having no more than two Clowns in a tank unless it's very large (over 10') and only one specie.