How many corals is too much?

cmbkml

we have a 38gal tank with some pretty stellar lighting (can't remember exactly what though)... so far we have put a mushroom (well 2 but our pistol shrimp decided he wanted to decorated his burrows with one), xenia, frogspawn, open brain, and a zoo in our tank. They are small frags that we know will grow over time. We'd like to add a few ricordea mushrooms and a star polyp to the mix. Is that too many? And can we place the ricoreas closer together since they are the same type of coral? We are looking to place an order with saltwaterfish.com very soon so any advice would be helpful. Has anyone purchased online and from here specifically? this will be our first go at it since we have a couple pretty cool lfs, but they don't have what we want in the ricordeas.

snakeblitz33

Saltwaterfish.com has some really nice deals and really good fish and corals. I have ordered from this website before, and I would recommend them to anyone. They are definitely part of my top 10 places to order.
Sounds like your not anywhere near your limit in corals just yet. It sounds like you are favoring soft corals, so keep changing your carbon filter out every 30 days and you should be rockin' and rollin'.

cmbkml

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeBlitz33 http:///t/395572/how-many-corals-is-too-much#post_3522027
Saltwaterfish.com has some really nice deals and really good fish and corals. I have ordered from this website before, and I would recommend them to anyone. They are definitely part of my top 10 places to order.
Sounds like your not anywhere near your limit in corals just yet. It sounds like you are favoring soft corals, so keep changing your carbon filter out every 30 days and you should be rockin' and rollin'.
Thanks Snake! We have found all of your info very helpful in our research... our tank is 6 weeks old and is doing very well but we did a ton of reading and learning before we started the process... One thing we are still curious about is what ORA means... we were looking at getting another peppermint and they have one for 3.99 and and ORA one for 14.99. This is probably the coolest thing we have ever created and the life that you can just sit and watch is absolutely amazing. We want to add a multi-color angel, blue tuxedo urchin, and a red knobby star but we want to make sure our corals are established more before we add them.

snakeblitz33

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbkml http:///t/395572/how-many-corals-is-too-much#post_3522028
Thanks Snake! We have found all of your info very helpful in our research... our tank is 6 weeks old and is doing very well but we did a ton of reading and learning before we started the process... One thing we are still curious about is what ORA means... we were looking at getting another peppermint and they have one for 3.99 and and ORA one for 14.99. This is probably the coolest thing we have ever created and the life that you can just sit and watch is absolutely amazing. We want to add a multi-color angel, blue tuxedo urchin, and a red knobby star but we want to make sure our corals are established more before we add them.
Your welcome. Glad you have found some articles I have written. For additional articles and advice, you can always go to my website, dixiereef.com.
ORA is Oceans Reefs and Aquariums. It's a brand name, and their seal of approval for the most part means that it is an aquacultured product. Aquacultured means that it was tank raised and didn't come out of the ocean. It's best to buy tank raised whenever possible, to decrease the impact that we have on our already struggling oceans. But, many hobbyists look at the price tag before they look at their impact, so the choice is yours.
You can get the angel and the urchin, but the starfish probably needs to stay in the ocean.... in a small tank, keeping a star fish long term is very, very difficult, since we as hobbyists are still trying to figure out exactly what they eat to stay healthy. Also, If I'm thinking of the same starfish that you see, it isn't reef safe. Red linkia starfish are reef safe, however. Any starfish that are "knobby" looking or have "crowns" are usually coral eaters.
Good luck, have fun and research!

cmbkml

We most certainly will keep on researching... the red knobby is the one our lfs said would be okay but are still a little nervous about it as all the research says no or with caution. We are thinking maybe just a sand sifting star instead... that one says reef safe in all our reading. The brittles and serpants are cool but also a little creepy looking... not a typical starfish look. They are cool and helpful but if possible would like the more typical look of one. Thanks again!

cmbkml

the other one we looked at was the red bali star... they stay pretty small and are supposed to be reef safe... we know they all need a more established tank so are not planning on adding one for about 5 or 6 more months potentially.

spanko

Snake
Aquaculture means grown on purpose (cultured) in water (aqua, salt or fresh). Could be tanks, ponds, sections or a river etc. etc.
Mariculture is a branch of aquaculture specifically done in the ocean.
Not picking, Just a point of clarification.