how many different fish can i add??

vsecret

How many fish of different species can I add at one time? Is two or 3 different fish at once too much?

R

russwlw2004

Originally Posted by vsecret
http:///forum/post/3160771
How many fish of different species can I add at one time? Is two or 3 different fish at once too much?
depends on the size of your tank.
mostly its 1-2. but like i said tank size depends on how much you can add and also what kind of filtration.

richl

That really depends on a lot of things. How big is your tank? How long is it established? Water parameters and how long fully cycled? How much live rock? How much water circulation? Other filtration? Do you have corals (some fish will eat them)? What fish and other inhabitants are in there now (some fish might eat them)? Some fish are peaceful and others are aggressive. You have to find out which ones are compatable. What kinds of fish do you like? Do you have an idea about how many fish you want to have? Some fish can't stand their own kind while others do well in groups. Sounds like a lot, but you have to plan this out. Generally, you should add fish to your tank slowly so as not to overload the biological system. Give the biological system a chance to adjust to the # and size of fish. It's also best to add the most peaceful fish first and the most aggressive last. I would also highly recommend that you quarantine new fish before you add them to your main tank. Make sure only healthy fish enter your main tank. Read everything you can on this website, talk to your local fish store staff, read books on the hobby and ask questions on this site. A good fish guide is Marine Fishes by Scott W. Michael. It gives some quick reference info on over 500 fish species. If you answer some of the questions I just asked you, I'm sure you will get a lot of helpful answers. I hope this helps. Good luck

vsecret

thanks! my tank has been up for about 9 months - my water params are just near perfect. I'm getting a bi-color angel next week and i was thinking of geting a small foxface, but i dont think ill add them at the same time, but i wanted to add a Banggai Cardinal at the same time as my BiColor. I have a 55g and all i have is a mated Paige of Maine Mocha Clowns, 2 Green Chromis, anda cleaner shrimp (i lost 7 fish this spring due to a bad case of ich. ugh)

R

russwlw2004

you can do 2 fish at once, thats what i've done two times with my 35g hex and everyone is happy as can be.
but than again they were small fish, 2 clowns one time and 2 purple firefish another time.

richl

What's a 'Paige of Maine'? Anyway, I agree adding 2 small fish at a time should be ok. I'm in the hobby about 14 months and also lost a lot of fish to Ick in the first few months. Ever since, I have maintained a 20 gal QT where I hypo all new arrivals before going into the DT. Also have UV's on both the DT and QT. Hate ick.

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3160953
thanks! my tank has been up for about 9 months - my water params are just near perfect. I'm getting a bi-color angel next week and i was thinking of geting a small foxface, but i dont think ill add them at the same time, but i wanted to add a Banggai Cardinal at the same time as my BiColor. I have a 55g and all i have is a mated Paige of Maine Mocha Clowns, 2 Green Chromis, anda cleaner shrimp (i lost 7 fish this spring due to a bad case of ich. ugh)

A FoxFace will out grow your tank. They really need 75+ gallons.
If you add an angel, add it last, they can be aggressive and establish a large territory if they're introduced too soon. I have a Coral Beauty who has killed many fish on my because she's the "boss" in my tank. I also would not add anything at the same time as her.
You'd be fine to add the Banggai with another small fish.

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3161167
ahah I meant to say a "pair of Maine" but i was talking to my cat Paige while i was writing. oops!
can you post a pic of them? I've wanted to see what this new breed looks like but haven't seen a great a picture yet

R

russwlw2004

Originally Posted by BTLDreef
http:///forum/post/3161169
can you post a pic of them? I've wanted to see what this new breed looks like but haven't seen a great a picture yet
i've never even heard of them, even a google search doesn't turn up anything.

vsecret

they are tank raised at UMAINE - ill post a picture - i just got my new Digital SLR camera tonight - so ill post - they are beautiful - they are part brown and part orange, however once they mature comepletely they will be all deep brown - i have a misbar pair.

vsecret

not the best picture - but im trying to figure out my new DSLR camera :) but these are the Maine Mocha Clowns

vsecret

Im not sure what i'd like to keep other then my green chromis that i have, my clowns, bi-color, and foxface, and a royal gramma. I will be upgrading before the foxface outgrown my tank. What else would you suggest? when I upgrade im looking at a 120g

btldreef

http:///forum/post/3162787
Im not sure what i'd like to keep other then my green chromis that i have, my clowns, bi-color, and foxface, and a royal gramma. I will be upgrading before the foxface outgrown my tank. What else would you suggest? when I upgrade im looking at a 120g
Don't get the foxface until you have the bigger tank. It will just be stressed in the smaller tank.
The bi-color along with the royal gramma and two clowns will be okay in your tank right now. Keep an eye on your chromis. A lot of people have issues with the green chromis killing each other to try to establish dominance. I haven't had this happen personally, but know a lot of people who have experienced it.

vsecret

thanks for the advice - however right now my two chromis have become quite chummy with my clowns, and before 7 of my other fish died due to Ich they were best of friends with them :) I guess i just got lucky :)