How many fish can live in a 120 gallon tank?

slice

Depending on what type of fish, maybe only 1.
Post your wish list so folks can advise who can live with who in that size tank. Its not only numbers, it is compatibility.

spongeycrab

Convict Tang
Leopard Wrasse
Randalli Goby
Two Barred Rabitfish
Mellanarus Wrasse
Possum Wrasse
Red Scooter Blenny
Flame Angelfish
Lanteran Basslet
2 Snowflake Clownfish
Lemon Peel Angelfish
Blue Tang
Blue Caribbean Tang
Copperband Butterflyfish

novahobbies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongeycrab http:///t/392402/how-many-fish-can-live-in-a-120-gallon-tank#post_3484032
Convict Tang
Leopard Wrasse
Randalli Goby
Two Barred Rabitfish
Mellanarus Wrasse
Possum Wrasse
Red Scooter Blenny
Flame Angelfish
Lanteran Basslet
2 Snowflake Clownfish
Lemon Peel Angelfish
Blue Tang
Blue Caribbean Tang
Copperband Butterflyfish
You have two Acanthurus genus tangs and one Paracanthurus genus. Tangs of the same genus will often fight unless they're in extremely large tanks. Personally I would ditch the Atlantic Blue. Likely it would fight with both of the other tangs (one for similar body shape, the other because of similar color during adult phase).
You also may have some aggression issues with the three wrasses -- check to see if the Melanarus will be the "king" wrasse in that tank. If it can coexist with the Leopard wrasse, I would consider ditching the possum and just going with the two wrasses.
The Lantern bass is a neat fish, but remember it is in the grouper family, with all the instincts included. Your scooter blenny and even your clowns may eventually be considered tasty snacks, as this fish can get up to and possibly over 6 inches (usually 4-5).
Flame and Lemonpeel will most likely fight. They often do. Just get one or the other.
The copperband butterfly is great, as long as (a) you can get it to eat, and (b) you're aware of the risks if you make the switch to a reef tank. Copperbands are also timid, and you have some rambunctious fish on the list here.
Personally this is what I would do, and the order I would add them:
Leopard Wrasse
Randall's Goby
Melanarus Wrasse
Scooter Blenny
Clownfish pair
Rabitfish
Copperband
Lemonpeel
Lantern Bass
Convict Tang
Blue Palette Tang
Now, here's the thing. This list is do-able in a 125g tank, but you need to make darn sure you have a robust filtration system in place. You have three large herbivores in here who will poop.....a lot. You will also very likely need to supplement your herbivores with sheet algae, because you probably won't have enough on the rocks for all three to graze on. Finally. If you're going to do this, I would strongly recommend you invest in a couple QT tanks. You absolutely MUST QT these fish if you hope to avoid the scourge of ich. Your Blue tang is a notorious magnet for skin parasites, and if there's even ONE in the water, chances are you'll have an issue.
QT isn't hard, or even expensive. 10g tanks are usually 10-12 bucks, and simple HOB filters will do in most cases. You can use one, but you'll be adding fish over the entire year. If you have the room and a spare C-note to spend, get 2-3 QT systems in place with a couple 10g tanks and a 20g for your bigger fish. That way you can QT a few fish at a time. You'll definitely want to do a little reading on the subject before you get into it, but a good hospital/QT tank has saved many hobbyists from total fish tank crashes.

S

saltymac2012

Hello, I have a 125 with some of the fish on your list. My mellanarus wrasse and flame angle do not like each other too much. Mostly because the angle is aggressive....sort of....only to fish around its size. It will chase my chromis, sleeper goby, and wrasse, but doesnt mess with the butterfly or any of the tangs. It doesnt chase them far, just a few inches....adding them in a certain order ,least to most aggressive in theory helps but every fish/tank is different. And nova is correct, the tangs eat and poop alot...lol.

Kona Edwards

I have a list for my 120 gallon a little help if everyone wouldn't mindo I know not all of them can go in my tank but it's what I want
Royal gramma
Bicolor blenny
Firefish
Purple firefish
Pink spotted watchman goby
Exquisite firefish
black and white snowflake clown pair
Melanurus wrasse
Zebra barred dartfish
Saddle Valentini Puffer
Yellow tang or one spot foxface
And soft corals after 3-6 months of the tank running
And of course a cleaning crew

Last edited:
D

Dylan28

I've got a 4ft tank I've got 1 frontosa 1 blood parrot and syphyllium and 3 sucker fish I want to get 1 more fish