how many fish for a 125 reef and which ones

chips

I upgraded to a 125 gallon and am now ready to start adding more fish. I have a list of fish that I would like to have in my reef tank. I realize this question has been asked probably a million times if not more. I also realize that the "how many fish" question has been asked a million times and has a million different answers and opinions. Before you read my list please understand that I am not talking about adding all this fish to my tank, I know it will overload it. I am looking for opinions on which of these fish I can add and roughly how many. There are a few that I definitley want though. So here is my list of what I have.
1 Sailfin Tang
2 Percula Clownfish
1 Catalina
1 pistol shrimp
1 engineer goby (convict blenny)
1 cleaner shrimp
1 sand sifting starfish
2 emarald crabs
Here is a list of wants. Again, I will not be adding all of these. This is just a list of wants that I will pick from without wanting to overload my tank.
1 Powder Blue tang (definitely want)
Flame Angel
Bicolor Angel
Flameback Angel
Yellowtail fang blennie
Royal Gramma
Springers Demoiselles (damselfish)
Assessors two of them
Carpenters Flasher Wrasse
McCoskers Flasher Wrasse
Starry Blennie
Pajama Cardinals three of them
Banggai Cardinal three of them
Copperband Butterfly
I know only one angel so I am asking which one, I only want one wrasse but which one, and one set of cardinals. I am also unsure of the blennies getting along, if they don't I will pick one of them. I know the butterfly may nip at corals as well as the angel may but I have heard more people saying that they haven't had a problem with them. If I can have all of these (as in one angel, one blennie, one group of cardinals and one wrasse) that would put me at 16 fish with 3 getting large over time. I think that is probably right at the limit or would that be over the edge. I do water changes weekly at intervals of 12 gallons, 12 gallons, 12 gallons, then 25 gallons. I appreciate any of your opinions.

spongeycrab

1 Powder Blue tang (definitely want) Fine but is prone to ich a neon goby is advised
Flame Angel Good fish
Bicolor Angel Most of the time eats corals
Flameback Angel Good fish also but flame is prettier
Yellowtail fang blennie Deadly because of poisonous properties get a neon goby instead
Royal Gramma Good fish minorly aggressive
Springers Demoiselles (damselfish) Never recommended far to aggressive
Assessors two of them Can't have these and royal grammas

Carpenters Flasher Wrasse IDK

McCoskers Flasher Wrasse IDK

Starry Blennie Will practically never eat prepared foods but can still survive

Pajama Cardinals three of them Good fish but I prefer banggais

Banggai Cardinal three of them Good fish I like them much more than pajama Caridnals

Copperband ButterflyThis is a great fish but eats tube worms and is hard to feed though the clam feeding method works

chips

You suggest the neon goby for the powder blue, is that on top of the cleaner shrimp that is in there? To pick between the Assessors and the Royal Gramma, which is a better fish, can I get two royal grammas (I think just one right)? Every damselfish I had turned out aggressive, but this one was described as the peaceful one, but you know how that goes. The seller describes it as peaceful, but doesn't say anything about when it gets grown and acclimated real good. Just like the fang blennie, it stated that it was poisonous but other fish don't bother it because of that. Yea, is that because it killed your $200 prize fish and everything else in the tank. I believe I will leave that one alone, thanks. I like seeing what experience says about fish to add to what is described by the seller since experience is oftern different from what the seller description is. I really like the butterfly but have heard about the eating issue. I am thinking if I get one of these I will get it through the LFS and make sure it eats before I purchase it. What do you think about the amount of fish for my tank.
1 sailfin tang (already have)
1 powder blue tang
2 percula clowns (already have)
1 engineer goby (convict blennie, already have)
1 catalina (already have)
1 tiger pistol shrimp (already have)
1 cleaner shrimp (already have)
1 flame angel
3 bangaii cardinals or 3 pajama cardinals (can't decide between the two)
1 Mcosckers or carpenter flasher wrasse
2 Royal Grammas (if I can have 2, if not just 1)
1 copperband butterfly
Also, what order would I put these in now. If I ordered all these and put them in a 20 gallon QT tank at one time would that be okay? Then put them in the DT in the proper order over a week time or something so I don't overload the bio filter at once? I know it would be better to do one at a time or the pairs (like the cardinals) at a time. I am just trying to cut down the shipping but don't want to kill the fish and end up spending more on the fish than I would save in the shipping, plus I just don't want to kill the fish. Basically it is cheaper to buy them online with free shipping, but if I add shipping to it, I can get it for the same price at the LFS and help keep him in business. Thanks for your input on this.

spongeycrab

You suggest the neon goby for the powder blue, is that on top of the cleaner shrimp that is in there? To pick between the Assessors and the Royal Gramma, which is a better fish, can I get two royal grammas (I think just one right)? Every damselfish I had turned out aggressive, but this one was described as the peaceful one, but you know how that goes. The seller describes it as peaceful, but doesn't say anything about when it gets grown and acclimated real good. Just like the fang blennie, it stated that it was poisonous but other fish don't bother it because of that. Yea, is that because it killed your $200 prize fish and everything else in the tank. I believe I will leave that one alone, thanks. I like seeing what experience says about fish to add to what is described by the seller since experience is oftern different from what the seller description is. I really like the butterfly but have heard about the eating issue. I am thinking if I get one of these I will get it through the LFS and make sure it eats before I purchase it. What do you think about the amount of fish for my tank.
1 powder blue tang
1 flame angel
3 bangaii cardinals or 3 pajama cardinals (can't decide between the two)
1 Mcosckers or carpenter flasher wrasse
2 Royal Grammas (if I can have 2, if not just 1)
1 copperband butterfly
Also, what order would I put these in now. If I ordered all these and put them in a 20 gallon QT tank at one time would that be okay? Then put them in the DT in the proper order over a week time or something so I don't overload the bio filter at once? I know it would be better to do one at a time or the pairs (like the cardinals) at a time. I am just trying to cut down the shipping but don't want to kill the fish and end up spending more on the fish than I would save in the shipping, plus I just don't want to kill the fish. Basically it is cheaper to buy them online with free shipping, but if I add shipping to it, I can get it for the same price at the LFS and help keep him in business. Thanks for your input on this.
Yes I do still recommend a neon goby even though you have a cleaner shrimp because the neon gobys eat the parasites more readily than cleaner shrimp plus cleaner shrimp only live at the most 3 years. Only one royal gramma at a time but can you keep two assessors? Probably not since you can't tell the difference between male and female. Yeah just leave damsels alone. When I said the fang Blenny was poisonous it's kinda like a rabbitfish doesn't secreat poison but is poisonous. Yeah if you want the butterfly check out the video below. Don't get all of them but get 2 or up to 5 but add them slowly at least 3 weeks apart. Personally I don't care for flasher wrasse I prefer the halichoeres genus the most reef safe of that genus is the yellow wrasse beautiful and reef safe.

S

saxman

If by "Catalina", you're referring to the Catalina goby, you should be aware that this fish is a temperate water fish that typically doesn't do well at tropical temps. They are best kept at about 68*F, but definitely should be kept cooler than 75*F.

spongeycrab

If by "Catalina", you're referring to the Catalina goby, you should be aware that this fish is a temperate water fish that typically doesn't do well at tropical temps.  They are best kept at about 68*F, but definitely should be kept cooler than 75*F.
Good thing you came in Sax because I did not know that.

chips

Yes it is a "Catalina" Goby. I am aware that these fish like cooler water (found that out afterwards). When I asked the LFS about it I was told different information about it. As it turns out the LFS could care less if it was good for my tank or not and just wanted the sale. (I learned) I stopped going to that fish store until it got bought out by a friend of mine that doesn't run his business that way. Anyway, I ended up with a fish that is not suppose to do well in tanks of my temp (76-77). That fish and the pistol shrimp it is paired with have been in my tank for over a year now and growing like mad and doing great. I'm not trying to disprove you saxman, I don't understand how it is doing as good as it is myself, it really isn't suppose to. That is another thing that is confusing to me, I know this fish is not suppose to do good in the tank but at the same time it is in mine for some reason. Now I wouldn't take the risk of killing it if I knew this information before I bought it. This is why I am trying to find out peoples experience on the fish that I want instead of just going on what is said by the LFS,the seller description or what brief descriptions I can find in my books.
What is in the clam shell that you are feeding them? It looks like they love it. I really do like the butterfly and its eating habits are one of my concerns, but it looks like that recipe may be a winner.
Modified again.
1 powder blue tang
1 flame angelif; line-height: normal;" />
3 bangaii cardinals (my wife likes these better)
1 Yellow Wrasse
1 Royal Gramma
1 copperband butterfly
1 Neon Goby
I am also wondering about a diamond sleeper goby or a gold head sleeper goby but am a little concerned about the engineer and the catalina with these. Should I just stick with the sand sfiting star and the snails to clean the substrate? What are your thoughts on that? Also what are you thoughts about the amount of fish in my setup?

spongeycrab

Yes it is a "Catalina" Goby. I am aware that these fish like cooler water (found that out afterwards). When I asked the LFS about it I was told different information about it. As it turns out the LFS could care less if it was good for my tank or not and just wanted the sale. (I learned) I stopped going to that fish store until it got bought out by a friend of mine that doesn't run his business that way. Anyway, I ended up with a fish that is not suppose to do well in tanks of my temp (76-77). That fish and the pistol shrimp it is paired with have been in my tank for over a year now and growing like mad and doing great. I'm not trying to disprove you saxman, I don't understand how it is doing as good as it is myself, it really isn't suppose to. That is another thing that is confusing to me, I know this fish is not suppose to do good in the tank but at the same time it is in mine for some reason. Now I wouldn't take the risk of killing it if I knew this information before I bought it. This is why I am trying to find out peoples experience on the fish that I want instead of just going on what is said by the LFS,the seller description or what brief descriptions I can find in my books.
What is in the clam shell that you are feeding them? It looks like they love it. I really do like the butterfly and its eating habits are one of my concerns, but it looks like that recipe may be a winner.
Modified again.
1 powder blue tang
1 flame angel
amily:tahoma, verdana, geneva, lucida, arial, helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">3 bangaii cardinals (my wife likes these better)
1 Yellow Wrasse
1 Royal Gramma 
1 copperband butterfly
1 Neon Goby
I am also wondering about a diamond sleeper goby or a gold head sleeper goby but am a little concerned about the engineer and the catalina with these. Should I just stick with the sand sfiting star and the snails to clean the substrate? What are your thoughts on that? Also what are you thoughts about the amount of fish in my setup?
Well it's actually not me and it's just the clam shucked the guy says in the vid. You want a sand sifting starfish? Well for one thing your tank has to be very, very old so it can get the right nutrition out of the sand. Two if you want a DSB they're a big no, no because they eat all the good bacteria and creatures in the sand. The gobys don't eat as much. He'll be fine with the other ones because they aren't of a similar shape. I'd say the amount of fish you have are perfect.

chips

I already have a sand sifting star fish in the tank, but I have a deep sand bed in my refugium. Will the diamond goby take the nutrients away from the starfish and vise versa? If I can't have both that is fine, but what order do I add my fish list? I am also looking at adding three peppermint shrimp to get rid of aptasias but would that take away food from the butterfly?

spongeycrab

Well I'm not sure about stealing food from eachother, but soon your SSS will start crawling on the glass becuase they can't find food and SSS never crawl on the glass your tank should truly be at least one year old for SSS. Not sure about the stocking but do it by the order of aggression or just ask someone else like snake. No they shouldn't take the food from the butterfly if you find one that eats frozen.

chips

I have substrate in there that is over a year old that I put in from the old tank when I upgraded, maybe it is developed enough. If I start seeing it on the glass I may just give it to a friend or something. I know the peppermint shrimp will eat aptasia and the butterfly is suppose to, I just wondered if the butterfly isn't taking other foods if the aptasias would supply enough for it to survive until it starts eating other prepared foods. I am concerned about buying a butterfly online because I don't get a chance to see it eat. If it isn't eating prepared foods will it survive on eating aptasia or is it that if the butterfly doesn't eat it doesn't eat anything including aptasias? I might be worrying a little much about it, I tend to do that. It seems every time I don't over worry or over think it something happens or I end up with a SSS in a younger tank, or a wrong fish for the tank. I will seek out Snakes advice on the order to add these fish and see what he has to say. Thanks for all your help and input on this.

snakeblitz33

1 powder blue tang
1 flame angel
1 Yellow Wrasse
1 Royal Gramma
1 copperband butterfly
helvetica, sans-serif;line-height:normal;background-color:rgb(241,241,241);">1 Neon Goby
should go in first to last:
1 Neon Goby
(convict blennie, already have)
1 Yellow Wrasse
1 Royal Gramma
1 flame angel
1 copperband butterfly
1 powder blue tang

chips

Thanks for the input Snake, your a great help. Spongeycrab, I think you for the help on the list. You have been a big help as well. It looks like I have my list and my order to add them. Next is to purchase a couple at a time and watch my nitrates to see if I need to add the SC150 skimmer or a scrubber
. right now my nitrates are almost 5 but my skimmer wasn't working right. I was out of town and the filter sock filled up and pushed the intake from the skimmer pump up against the wall and wasn't sucking in water like it should. I moved the skimmer so that wouldn't happen again, it is skimming good now so I will be pushing it as hard as I can to see if it will keep up, if not in goes the SC150. (thanks for pointing me to that one Snake)

spongeycrab

I have substrate in there that is over a year old that I put in from the old tank when I upgraded, maybe it is developed enough. If I start seeing it on the glass I may just give it to a friend or something. I know the peppermint shrimp will eat aptasia and the butterfly is suppose to, I just wondered if the butterfly isn't taking other foods if the aptasias would supply enough for it to survive until it starts eating other prepared foods. I am concerned about buying a butterfly online because I don't get a chance to see it eat. If it isn't eating prepared foods will it survive on eating aptasia or is it that if the butterfly doesn't eat it doesn't eat anything including aptasias? I might be worrying a little much about it, I tend to do that. It seems every time I don't over worry or over think it something happens or I end up with a SSS in a younger tank, or a wrong fish for the tank. I will seek out Snakes advice on the order to add these fish and see what he has to say. Thanks for all your help and input on this.
No the butterfly definatly will never survive on aiptasia I also recommend to not add aiptasia because it spreads like wild fire and damages your corals. Hope it all works out!

snakeblitz33

You will find that it is very difficult to keep a butterfly, period. Someone that you can talk to about it is Mr. Limpid. He has only had fish only tanks for roughly 20 years, and knows all about fish like that. I know just enough to be dangerous. I also don't recommend a butterfly for a reef tank, as they can eat polyps as well.

chips

I'm not adding aptasia and never would purposely add them. The guy that owned a LFS tried selling them telling people that they are glass anemone and do very well in reef tanks. This is the same LFS I was talking about leaving on another one of my posts, and the one that was bought out by a friend of mine and has gotten a lot better. I am on a mission to destroy them all. I somehow ended up with some in my tank and am looking at getting peppermint shrimp to remove them, I guess there was one on some rock I had in my old refugium that didn't have the peppermint shrimp in. I was wondering if the butterfly would eat them until it started eating prepared foods, if so I wouldn't add the peppermint shrimp. Either way, I am looking to rid my tank of them.
Snake, I have read that they can eat polyps but also read they sometimes don't bother them. I hate guessing which one I will get, one that will eat them or one that won't. If I could find another fish around the same size that is an open swimmer and has color I may add that instead. Any suggestions on that?

spongeycrab

I'm not adding aptasia and never would purposely add them. The guy that owned a LFS tried selling them telling people that they are glass anemone and do very well in reef tanks. This is the same LFS I was talking about leaving on another one of my posts, and the one that was bought out by a friend of mine and has gotten a lot better. I am on a mission to destroy them all. I somehow ended up with some in my tank and am looking at getting peppermint shrimp to remove them, I guess there was one on some rock I had in my old refugium that didn't have the peppermint shrimp in. I was wondering if the butterfly would eat them until it started eating prepared foods, if so I wouldn't add the peppermint shrimp. Either way, I am looking to rid my tank of them.
Snake, I have read that they can eat polyps but also read they sometimes don't bother them. I hate guessing which one I will get, one that will eat them or one that won't. If I could find another fish around the same size that is an open swimmer and has color I may add that instead. Any suggestions on that?
Hey sorry I was gone. Personally I adore the black zoster butterflyfish or pyramid butterfly.
Zoster:

Pyramid: