How Many fish for a 65

blazinbruno

I have talked to several people about overcrowding and get a different answer almost every time. Is there a set number of fish per gallon? Do the smaller guys like to goby, blenny etc allow for exceptions? Does the clean up guys like shrimp of sifter stars add significatly to the bio load? Do soft corals have any impact on the number of fish?

for a beginner, i believe its 1 inch of fish (encorporate the adult size if youre getting juvs) per 4 gallons of water and as you move on you go to 1 inch per 2 gallons. seems like alot, but lr and coral can take up lots of space. im not an expert but that's what ive been told.

ophiura

Originally Posted by Blazinbruno
I have talked to several people about overcrowding and get a different answer almost every time. Is there a set number of fish per gallon? Do the smaller guys like to goby, blenny etc allow for exceptions? Does the clean up guys like shrimp of sifter stars add significatly to the bio load? Do soft corals have any impact on the number of fish?

There is no set number because it depends on many many variables...the type of fish, the "footprint" of the tank (eg, a standard 120g is a 4' tank - not great for tangs - but a 125 is typically longer and suitable). It depends on the temperment of the fish - are they aggressive and territorial? Some of the smallest fish have the biggest attitudes. Are they "big eaters" like some aggressive fish, producing a lot of waste? And do you have things like corals...coral tanks, regardless of whether you keep hard or soft corals, tend to have a significantly lower bioload and number of fish than the tank can in theory hold.
So, the answer is that there is no set answer or guideline.
What is important is researching the fish, their behavior and adult size of the fish. Stocking slowly, feeding a reasonable amount, and staying up on water parameters and water changes will help. Your overall stocking will come down to water parameters, behavior and personal appeal of stock size.
As for other animals, in theory, yes, anything that consumes food produces waste and has an impact on your bioload. How much that actually impacts things overall is relatively less than fish. Corals are often fed, impacting water quality significantly.
BTW, I do not recommend sand sifter stars. Not only are they highly detrimental to a sand bed, but they can not be spot fed in most cases and tend to starve in all but larger tanks (over 150+g). Not always...but often...and they consume the animals that DO stir the sand. There are significantly better options for this job
(sand sifter cukes, nassarius, conchs, etc).