How many fish is too many?

fishtails

How many fish would you say is too many for a 25 gallon(24x12x20) reef tank? I currently have a pair of clownfish(2-2.5") and a royal gramma(1.5"). I'd like to add a 4th. It's a watchman goby(1")with a pistol shrimp. Would it be okay to add this fish as my last one to the tank along with the shrimp? The tank is heavily filtered but it's only 4 mths. old. Please give me some input before I go out and buy te fish.

brooklyn johnny

Stocking levels are limited by two things basically, space and bioload. In a 25 you'd easily have the territory for a watchman and shrimp (I have them in my 10). Regarding whether or not you have the bioload capabilities that entirely depends on your filtration, not necessarily the quantity as much as the quality of nutrient cycling. With that said, are you registering any nitrates in the tank?

fishtails

With the refugium the NO3 only test at 5-10 ppm. I added the refugium about two weeks ago. All other perimeters are 'perfect'.
I also have a skimmer/filter combo(Not the Skilter) that is rated for a 75g tank and the skimmer pulls out alot of foam, but not much liquid waste.
Along with the LR, LS, and PH's I'd say this is good filteration/circulation.

killafins

u should be good, jmo...
but i have a question... what's up with the watchman goby and pistol shrimp? Do they have some kind of simbotic relationship?

fishtails

Killafins, yes pistol shrimp and gobies can have a simbotic relationship which effects both the shrimp and fish. They are just as clownfish and anemone's, but not as well known to form pairs as clownfish and anemone's. These two happen to be a pair.

wamp

Arn't the pistol shrimp blind? I think they use the goby as eyes.. The shrimp take car of the home and the fish watches out for the shrimp..
But... I might be thinking of another pair...

killafins

impressive... i kind of want one now
how would they be in a 20 gallon with two clown fish and two cleanershrimp, a mandarin and lawnmower blenny??? I think it'll be too much but what do u think?

killafins

Yeah that's what i thought... :(... i figured it would be overboard. Already have all those fish. I'm thinking of moving the lmb over to the 55 gallon... do u think my morea eel will get him? He already got a yellow tail blue damsel :mad: but....

brooklyn johnny

Yeah wamp you nailed it... here's a shot of my pistol I got about a month ago... I still have to get a shot of him together with my yellow watchman as they've since paired up... this guys known as a bullseye pistol (Alpheus soror)

sagxman

I have a red hawkfish in my tank. Does anyone know if he would go after a pistol shrimp? He's not a huge hawk so I don't think he would bother a larger shrimp, but I have never personally seen a pistol shirmp so I don't know how big they are.