How Many Fish

I have a 33 Gallon Flat back tank with about 25lbs of live rock, and a wet dry filtering it that is for a 150 Gallon Tank. My question is, how many fish can I put it my tank. I want small fish, possible a flame angel. If I stay with clown fish, wrasse's, and other small fish how many fish do u think I can get away with?

J

jamiegrl

remember only one wrasse to a tank especially small tanks

Only 4 - 5? I was thinking somewhere close to 8-10 being that I have a extraordinary filtration system. Won't the filter compensate & The live rock compensate for the small tank

mcbdz

It really depends on what fish, but other then filtration you will most likely have territory issues. Expecially with a flame. They usually need a 5og.

itom37

One thing you must consider is stressing the fish out by having so many in such a small space. You'll also have to be very conscious of aggression and compatibility in such close quarters with the number of fish you want. Filtration isn't everything. A pair of clowns, a couple of firefish, and maybe a couple of other small (flame is not what i'd call small in a tank of that size) fish should be fine in that tank.
8-10 fish in that small a tank doesn't sound like it would even look good. Too crowded. Just my opinion.

member007

I agree with a territory issue! I have a 24g tank with extra filtration, and a chiller and some of the fish I had was killed by another. I had 2x Percula Clowns, dottyback, and a 6-line. I added a small Pygmy angel (didn't survive 3 days), then I tried a jawfish (didn't survive 1 day). Then I decided to add another dwarf angle, but a larger one and he is doing fine. I also added a small puffer, and a neon goby and they are fine as well. Then my dottyback vanished... Now I have 6 fish and an eel and there is no aggresion at all, go figure...

mrmaroon

Just put in 15-20, then it will feel like NYC!
Seriously, that is probably a few too many. Why don't you just buy a bigger thank if you want that many fish. I am at the other end of the spectrum. I have a 55g with only two clowns, but a lot of corals. I need to add one.

mrmaroon

I don't think that is right. That would be I could put 25 small fish in my tank. I would never dream of more that 6-8 if mine was a fish only tank. What kind of excellent filtration do you have?

bird dog

Originally Posted by kaingers
http:///forum/post/2517135
Isn't it a gallon of water for every inch of fish?

Nope
It all depends on the fish and its needs. Thats why they have min size tank notes next to fish details along with if they will eat or fight others
,reef safe,Ect.