How many fish?

marting83

Another one of my freshwater rules that I need coverted to saltwater... In Freshwater, the rule is a 1" fish should have 1 gallon of water (unless heavlity planted) :cool: . Convert that rule to Saltwater please. If it depends on the type of fish, I am primarly looking at percula clownfish, and a wide variety of damsels including yellowtail-blue, jewel, three stripe, domino, and velvet (Good for a saltwater newbie like me).

surfnturf

For heavens sake, do not get a domino, you will learn to hate these fish! Yellow tail isn't quite as bad, but in general I would stay away from damsels if you want anything else in your tank. Go with the clownfish, they are pretty resilient, depending on the type.

sistrmary

The three striped and jewelled are as mean as the dominos lol
All the fish you named are considered damselfish. (they're beautiful fish :D) The only problem is that they're also very territorial (aka mean as hell.) They'll tear each other apart. (With the exception of the percula, as they're fairly passive, although they will likely be picked on by dominos and three striped damsels)
In a large tank, that setup might work, but if your tank is under 100gal, I really wouldn't suggest putting that many different damsels in it. I know that they look like they should all go together, their coloration looks so neat together...but eventually, one (either the domino or the striped I'm guessing) will declare dominance and mutilate your other fish.
What size is your tank? If I know that, I (and everyone else) can suggest some fish that will fit in and look good in your tank. (I'm really not trying to be bossy, although I know it seems like it...I'm just trying to save you a large bit of hassle and money.)

surfnturf

Sistrmary is 100% correct. I learned about damsels the hard way, it used to be the norm that you cycled the tank with them. Now I wish I had cycled the tank with a dead domino. The stupid things live forever and terrorize everything in their path, stick with the clownfish, they are far more interesting anyway.

marting83

Wow, I had no idea. They're such a beautiful fish. I wondered why people only used them for cycling an aquarium. I would be perfectly happy with clownfish. They sort of symbolize saltwater to me.
sistrMary - I have not bought my aquarium yet. That is why I am asking about fish. The aquarium I buy will be determined by the fish I want. I have two that I really like. One is a 75 gallon bowfront. The other is the Eclipse System 37 by Marineland. The 75 Gallon is attractive, obviously, for its size. However, the Eclipse is very artistic, great lighting, and features the Bio-wheel. If I were to go with several types of clownfish, I would probably go for the Eclipse. However, if you can recommend some colorful non-territorial fish, I would want to go with the 75 gallon.

marting83

Dave,
Never has anyone except the people trying to sell the bio-wheel ever had anything good to say about the bio-wheel. Perhaps I should stay away from the bio-wheel. :D Besides, like you, I have been doing FW for a long time too and never used the biowheel either. Here's my FW tank...

sistrmary

If I were you, I'd get the 75 :eek: but I'm a saltwater addict. I also know however, that it's not a hard thing to become. Overall I feel that larger tanks take less work...once they're established they basically run themselves. (well, with live rock, live sand and proper filtration they do)
But, I also have a 200gal, 100gal, 90gal, 30gal, and 25gal saltwater tanks set up right now. (I have a 10gal, but I'm waiting on getting a mantis for that one)
The best thing I can say to do is look around at pictures and read a couple of books. I think that one of the most generally informative saltwater fish books out there is Marine Fishes by Scott Michael. It tells you basic tank requirements for the fish, shows you a picture and tells you general information on the 500 or so fish in it.
Before you decide which tank to get, look at all the fish you can so that you get the right tank for them. A lot of people will be perfectly in love with/content with a 25-40gal tank until they run across a tang of some kind (who require at least a 75gal tank) and then they wish they'd gotten a bigger tank...or they go and get a bigger tank :D

broomer5

MartinG83,
Listen to what sistrMary says.
Wise advise for sure.
This is no kidding .... get as BIG a tank as you can afford and have space for, even if you have to wait to buy other things to put in it later.
A 75 gallon saltwater tank ( or bigger ) with even just one single clownfish is a great start.
I want a larger tank 10 minutes after I set up any tank.
It's true - unless your goal is to have a nano or other small tank, larger tanks are always better - other marine tank addicts I'm sure will agree.

clarkiiboi

If I were to go with several types of clownfish
Also, different types of clowns in either size you buy, would lead to fighting again. If you can get the 75 go for it, I have it and love it. And then you could add a mated pair of clowns, like percs. I know that will be ok because they stay smaller, the others not sure, due to size and other fish you may want to add. But mixing clowns may work in much larger tanks. HTH ;)

jarre

sistrMary - I'll agree with you about the domino (don't know about the others) Fat's my domino is "very territorial (aka mean as hell.)"
Loves to bite me every time I reach in the tank. He's growing fast to, pretty soon I'll need protection....;)

jarre

broomer5 - I'll agree with you on the tank size, even if it means waiting. I've been in the hobby for 5 months with a 45 gal. Was given the opportunity to pick up a 180 and a 250 for less than the 170 I was planning on purchasing. Of course, now I'm planning to joint both of the tank with a sump and fuge which will require a bit more work and pateince. I've taken on quite a project for someone with my experience.
I've got the wet/dry that came with each tank and their protein skimmers that I will use as a back up if I need to work on the joined system and just to the Euro-Reef CS12-1 for the joined system.
What I don't know and I've ask a couple of times without truely getting an answer. How do you determine the amount of lighting one would need if he wanted to keep softies, Lps, and Sps. The answers I've gotten are what to purchase and I'm really thankful for those suggestions. But how did they determine what to suggestion. (Factors) Think you and sistrMary may be able to give me a hand?