How many Flameback angels

S

submariner romulus

Two days ago I added 2 flameback pygmy angels to my 125-gal reef set up. Today one is dead. I've ruled out disease (i have UV sterilizer, Tunzi skimmer and ionizer); predation ( although I do have lots of inverts --mostly Cleaner, Camel and Blood shrimp). I believe the onther pygmy killed this one. How many can I safely keep in a tank this size-- there's plenty of room -- i thought?

kris

I was always told only one pygmy, but I would think in a tank that size you could get away with keeping two or three even but just not the same variety. Try a coral beauty or something if you want another.

S

submariner romulus

Yes, this was always what I'd been told, but I was informed that this rule really didn't apply to flamebacks and that they actually pair off in the aquarium and live in shoals on the reef in the wild. I guess next time I'll err on the side of caution...Thanks for your prompt feedback!!
Originally posted by Kris:
I was always told only one pygmy, but I would think in a tank that size you could get away with keeping two or three even but just not the same variety. Try a coral beauty or something if you want another.

the rock

the rock says....
yes, they fought to the death, darwin's theory, the same dwarfs will almost never get along, but you can give it a shot with a flame, bicolor, pygmy, or coral beauty, but ya never know