how many inverts

a&m aggie 04'

what would be the max cleanup crew for a 58 gallon??
How many hermits, snails-- what else would you suggest?
I have 3 peppermint shrimp now, could i add a cleaner and a fire shrimp??
My sand gets a little brown sometimes, what about fighting conches? I know they get big but i could find someone to take it once it outgrows.
Thanks,
Mark

timsedwards

Most inverts such as red legs, snails etc carry very little bioload and I know people have armys of them! I havent got enough for my 75g, if I were you I would aim for 20 super turbs and 10 red legs or so? They would do a cracking job! :D
All the best,
Tim :cool:

debbers

I'd go for more hermits than what timsedwards suggested. I've got that many in my 29 gal! I'd definitely add the cleaner shrimp and an emerald crab (or two). 20 turbos is a good start.
You can also add in stages if you get your critters locally. Buy a few, then add more as needed.
I've seen on this board other posts that suggest 1 - 1.5 "janitor" critters per gallon, but others say it's better to aim for 1 per lb. of LR.
HTH,
~D~

jonthefb

i go with th e1 cleaner per gallon rule and it takes care of problems. I personally like to go with more snails than hermits. margaritas, astreas, trochus, cerith and nassarius snail will atttack just about everythign, sand rock and glass. hermits, i only go with scarlets, cause everythign else is just too nasty! peppermint shrimp, cleaner shrimp, emerald crabs, brittle/serpent/sea stars, sandsifting stars/cukes, theres a lot of options as well as sandbed critters such as spaghetti worms, bristleworms, etc, that all make up and ideal clean up crew, and its a good idea to have as diverse a selection as possible to make sure that the battle is beign fought on all fronts!
good luck
jon

a&m aggie 04'

right now i have about 15 turbos, prob 20-25 hermits, and 3 shrimp. Im going to add a cleaner and a fire shrimp soon.
Would emerald crabs bother anything in my tank?

jonthefb

while theyre little...no...as they get older...maybe. some people say that adult emerald crabs go after fish! i personally have never seen this behavior, but imagine it could happen!
good luck
jon

a&m aggie 04'

well i dont want that then, I dont want to have to dig something out of my tank down the road. What about fighting conches?? Will they mess w/ anyone????