How many Leopards?

D

daniel411

Does anyone see a potential problem with having multiple leopard sharks in an aquarium thats 8' long and 4' deep. I have a good place to take them in 2-3 years or so.
Would 2-3, be to much? The leopards would be the staple species, along with some damsels, and possibly a school of five yellow tangs.

D

daniel411

Oh, filtration is currently going to be:
2" bed of southdown
built in wet-dry
100-200 lbs. of live rock in a few small piles.
uv sterilizer
a few tunze stream powerheads
skimmer, undecided on which brand
activated carbon ran atleast a few hours a day

novice150

Since you already have a future home for them lined up, I see no problem with multiple leopards. 3 sounds like a good number IMO, and depending on their size/how long you keep them, leaves room for others critters. Perhaps other sharks and rays? ;)
Of course heavy skimming, good bio filtration, and excellent circulation is a must, but it sounds like you have a handle on that.

D

daniel411

I'm hoping I'll be able to toss a few more in. A bonnet head, a cali ray, maybe even a few cat/horn sharks... will have to wait and see. Next month I'll be moved and able to order the tank!

D

daniel411

Originally posted by tony detroit
I got a Sohal Tang that will chase your leopards....... want him???

nah... I've seen that thing chase your ray around...I'd rather keep the leopards alive!

pprize

Do you have any pics of the sharks, I love to see them. Saltwater and motocycles, what a great way to live. I ride yamaha. 2001 R6.

D

daniel411

Originally posted by pprize
Do you have any pics of the sharks, I love to see them. Saltwater and motocycles, what a great way to live. I ride yamaha. 2001 R6.

Don't have the sharks yet, just getting ready to order everything, set it up, and let it run a month or so before I start stocking it. R6, sweet. I'm a bit jealous of next years R1, turning my 02 into a track bike and picking the new one up is tempting :)

saltfisher

I got a Sohal Tang that will chase your leopards....... want him???

I'll take that Sohal. You want to get rid of???

saltfisher

I'll take it. You let me know how much. I'm not trying to pay retail though. Give me a price with shipping included to Ohio.

tony detroit

What city are you in?
He's about 5'', maybe a little bit more eats like a horse, been in captivity for 10 months. Beautiful colors, no ich spots or anything. Tank has 36watt UV sterilizer before he was put in. I payed 90 for him, but have seen some his size for $125. If I have to drive three hours each way though, it's not worth my time, sorry. I'm not willing to ship.

bullshark

I would go with 3. A big grouper. A big Harliquin Tusk. And maybe that Sohal.....
that would be sweet.
(I sell bikes, but not yamaha)
:(

novice150

I personally would not try a Harlequin Tusk. As cool as they are, I think you'd have the same problems you would with a trigger. I've never done it, fearing they'd nip fins.

D

daniel411

Alright, so no one sees any problems with:
3 leopard sharks
5 yellow tangs, all similar size... hoping they school
2 dozen or so damsels, probally replenished as needed.
-potentially a ray, horn/cat/bamboo....bonnethead added over time.
I've often seen damsels in shark tanks, excluding your/Novice's blacktip, with damsels for awhile. Do they just occasionally grab one and leave the rest alone? I wouldn't mind picking up a dozen ever few months to replace, casual losses.
A Harlequin would be sweet, to have that additional color. Don't want to be the first to try them with leopards though. As for the grouper, a small one would be cool. But I really would like to have a bunch of small fish/damsels also. Won't a grouper more aggressively pursue them than a leopard would?
Any other thoughts on what I could add?
Thanks for all the input.

D

daniel411

I'd like a niger in mine, but am still a little shaky to try it.

I'll split it with you if you want to try it in your tank! EDIT: The niger, not any fish it harms...

saltfisher

That's cool, I'll find one around here. I had a damsel in my shark tank and it was picking the fins of my baby leopard everytime he leopard swam past the place the damsel sat all the time. I noticed it when he had already done much damage to the fins. I pull the damsel out and.........you get the idea. I added a Harlequin tusk and a clown trigger and they are doing well. The tusk hides all the time. At night, he swims, but not much during the day.

D

daniel411

SaltFisher, what kind of damsel was it that was attacking the leopards fins?