how many lions in a 55 gal.

old hermit

how mant lion fish could i put into a 55 gal tank. I have 1 dwarf lion and was thinking about a fu man chu. maybe 3 or 4 that will be all that goes in there though.

grouperhead

I'd say two dwarfs. They still get pretty large (7"), so, IMO, that would be about as many lions you could have in there. Bo

fmarini

HI:
2 or 3 dwarfs, or 1 dwarf and 1 mid-bodied lion (antennata, mombassa, radiata). The problem will not be directly space related, it will be waste related initally, then when the fish reach max size you'll experience space issues.
I will say that having a tank of lions while sounding cool is actuallyvery slow paced (I know). you'll end up getting a few swimming fish just to see movement, as all the lions are sedentary predators. So I will almost guarentee that this 55 will have more than just lionfish.
So my suggestions would be for all dwarf lion tank
1)-you can keep a Fu D.biocellatus, a dwarf fuzzy (D. brachypterus, and a dwarf zebra (D. zebra).
I will say that if you want these type of fish in that small of water volume,you should concern yourself w/ water quality and buffering issues.Ensure you have lots of live rock, a DSB, or a wetdry and the best skimmer you can afford
Also be constistant in your water changes.
Lastly, lionfish have to be weened over to dead prepared foods
frank

james brown

dude, I've kept 3 volitan lions, undulated trigger, picasso trigger, sfe all in a 60 gal. with no problems... other than the tank gets very dirty. keep whatever you want, the more fish=more water change.

j21kickster

Just b/c it can be done dosent mean it should. Perfect example- Keeping a betta in a "tank" the size of a drinking glass. Do you thing it enjoys it in a place where the only place he can swim is up/down? My brother has one that my mom got him and sure enough it was in about 1cup of water. I put it in a spare 10 gal i had and it moved around more, looked healthier and just acted happy. That setup you had was 1.13" of fish per 1 gal water at max size. Even more if you had decorations, substrate and live rock. I would advise you chose you words more carefully next time Mr.Brown. BTW, did you ever check water parameters, im curious what your ammonia levels were?