how many more fish can i have in a 72 gallon tank?

vexrsx05

Right now i have a jawfish,scooter blenny,and a clownfish. with 90lbs of rock...looking to add a few more fish and maybe a blue tang...
How many more do you think i can add to my tank?

whitey

A juvi Blue Tang will work for a while, but cannot spend it's entire life in a 72 gallon.
You can add more fish, but it depends on how long you've had the tank up and running.

rad

not saying this is the norm, and its probably completely unacceptable by this boards standards but I have a friend with 15 fish in his 75 gallon. All his levels tested at zero, and I know this because I tested them one day out of disbelief. He uses alot of a product called TLC. its a bacteria that helps filtration. not saying this is a standard practice, but you can fit many more fish in there. Id say 8-10 would be a good range. depending on what kind of filtration/tank maintenance schedule you keep up with.

whitey

Originally Posted by rad
http:///forum/post/2499973
not saying this is the norm, and its probably completely unacceptable by this boards standards but I have a friend with 15 fish in his 75 gallon. All his levels tested at zero, and I know this because I tested them one day out of disbelief. He uses alot of a product called TLC. its a bacteria that helps filtration. not saying this is a standard practice, but you can fit many more fish in there. Id say 8-10 would be a good range
. depending on what kind of filtration/tank maintenance schedule you keep up with.

Why even post this? I'm sorry but it's nonsense.
I'll say it again, I can keep a full grown horse in my spare bedroom and keep it alive, but that doesn't change the fact that it's cruelty to animals.
Saying 8-10 fish will be fine in a 72 gallon tank is terrible advice for anyone, let alone those who come here trying to learn.

rad

guy, Im no troll. dont speak to me like one. Im just letting people know what is going on outside the box. I realize that everyone here has a degree in marine biology and you are 29 and awesome, with an education, supposively in marine biology as well, but Im just cutting BS and saying things as fact. Dont get me wrong, I am amazed by my friends 75g, its really the best looking reef Ive ever seen. 5 of those fish are chromis, and I certainly wouldnt attempt to put that many fish in that tank if it was mine. but none of the fish seem unhappy. true, I never sat them down on a chair and had a heart to heart, but there all happy as far as I can tell. people want personal experiences on this site, not something most have just read out of a book. I just gave a personal experience that is unconventional. no need to jump down my throat. my 'facts' are just as valid as yours.

whitey

Originally Posted by rad
http:///forum/post/2500083
guy, Im no troll. dont speak to me like one. Im just letting people know what is going on outside the box. I realize that everyone here has a degree in marine biology and you are 29 and awesome, with an education, supposively in marine biology as well, but Im just cutting BS and saying things as fact. Dont get me wrong, I am amazed by my friends 75g, its really the best looking reef Ive ever seen. 5 of those fish are chromis, and I certainly wouldnt attempt to put that many fish in that tank if it was mine. but none of the fish seem unhappy. true, I never sat them down on a chair and had a heart to heart, but there all happy as far as I can tell. people want personal experiences on this site, not something most have just read out of a book. I just gave a personal experience that is unconventional. no need to jump down my throat. my 'facts' are just as valid as yours.
You said 8-10 fish would be fine in a 72 gallon tank. Pretty broad comment if you ask me. 8-10 Chromis? Sure. But by saying 8-10 fish, you may easily lead newcomers to think differently. All I'm saying, is without being specific, that comment is pretty poor advice. The people who want to overstock their tank are looking for someone, anyone, to say it's okay to do so. The only fact you've provided is that your friend's tank is probably overstocked. The rest is opinion.

rad

8-10 isnt bad if your not going for a predator tank. you wouldnt believe the tanks Ive heard of. as for specifics on his tank, this board couldnt handle the craziness that is his tank. and I would get bashed all over. for something that I didnt even do. Im not saying that his tank is probably over stocked, it is over stocked. but its still being done. if you really want a list of the fish he has send me a PM, I can remember about 13 as of right now.

whitey

Originally Posted by rad
http:///forum/post/2500199
8-10 isnt bad if your not going for a predator tank. you wouldnt believe the tanks Ive heard of. as for specifics on his tank, this board couldnt handle the craziness that is his tank. and I would get bashed all over. for something that I didnt even do. Im not saying that his tank is probably over stocked, it is over stocked. but its still being done. if you really want a list of the fish he has send me a PM, I can remember about 13 as of right now.
That's fine, I'm not trying to argue with you. I respect you as a member of this board and know you're experienced in the hobby, I just took your initial comments the wrong way I guess. I apologize for that.