How many MP10 units to buy?

sagxman

I'm upgrading my power heads to at least one MP10. I've got a 29 gallon standard tank. I'm sure one is enough but should I have two? Or would two be overkill?
Also, does anyone have opinions on Ecotech's battery backup unit? Would a lower priced computer backup be just as good?

sagxman

I would say get 1 mp10, see how you like it amd look to upgrade to 2 if need be.
That's kind of what I was thinking. I do have corals. Mostly medium to low current types so even with one unit I'll be running it fairly low.
Think I just convinced myself. Now I need info on the backup battery.

rickross23

Ha. Always better to have too much compared to too little. Also, if you have say zoas, just because they are easy to keep l, doesn't mean they don't like high flow, because I read they do great in high flow and high light areas. I agree since mine are in THAT situation and they are spreading like crazy.

sagxman

I have zoas, hammer, acans, chalices, and cyphastrea. I think I'll be able to do nicely with one mp10. Wasn't sure if two might give me better current variation.

gemmy

I think the battery backup will give you around 20 hours of power, which might be better than a computer backup. I know the ones for my fish system at work just last 10 hours. Then again, my work has a 1400 gallon system.

snakeblitz33

consider how often your power goes out - and for what duration. In my area, my power usually gets knocked off for an average of 5-6 hours. Sometimes my power gets cut off for two weeks at a time - which happened back in '98. Then it wouldn't matter if I had a battery backup or not. A computer backup UPS would be perfectly fine for my situation. What will work for yours?

sagxman

consider how often your power goes out - and for what duration. In my area, my power usually gets knocked off for an average of 5-6 hours. Sometimes my power gets cut off for two weeks at a time - which happened back in '98. Then it wouldn't matter if I had a battery backup or not. A computer backup UPS would be perfectly fine for my situation. What will work for yours?
I agree. If power goes out for a longer duration would probably be battery operated air stones. I'm in FL and if a hurricane comes through you never know what could happen.

acrylic51

If you do a little searching on the internet, you'll see you can build your own battery backup for the Vortecs.......