How many people use RO Units?

ds450x

Thanks everyone for the info. It just sucks that I have to make extra ro water and store it for top off water, I go through about 2 gallons a day in just top off and im doing 5 gallon water changes a week which I think is plenty for only have 2 fish in there.

nano-newb1983

Wal-mart sells it for $.39/g.. Not bad of a deal, gotta go for food once a week y not pick up some RO water while your there for waterchanges

ajer

I use tap water and treat it with a water conditioner (it also removes "heavy metals"). Is this good enough for saltwater? I have called my local water company, they only put chlorine in the water. I tested it for phosphates, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. I also use SeaChem Marine Buffer and SeaChem Reef Carbonate to adjust alkalinity and pH.
Thanks

reefkprz

Originally Posted by Ajer
http:///forum/post/2797855
I use tap water and treat it with a water conditioner (it also removes "heavy metals"). Is this good enough for saltwater? I have called my local water company, they only put chlorine in the water. I tested it for phosphates, ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. I also use SeaChem Marine Buffer and SeaChem Reef Carbonate.
Thanks
adding a chemical wont "remove" anything, all it does is bind or chelate the heavy metals (depending on which metal) honestly I used tap water for years without serious issues, but have definatly noticed a difference in color growth and overall survivability since switching to RO water. defiantly less problems water quality wise. the unfortunate thing about using taop OR well water is the water can go from ok to crap because of a change in policy affecting the water treatment or a change in weather affecting the well.

kingsmith

Originally Posted by NaNo-NeWb1983
http:///forum/post/2797826
Wal-mart sells it for $.39/g.. Not bad of a deal, gotta go for food once a week y not pick up some RO water while your there for waterchanges
Yeah Thats where I get mine and I am not sure what they ring up but every time I have gone I am charged less and less the cashiers must not know the right code or something
Last time I bought 18 gallons I was charged less than 5 bucks thats about 27 cents a gallon

mr_x

my understanding is the tap water conditioner doesn't remove anything. it just detoxifies it. it allegedly bonds to those impurities, and makes them safe. they are still in the water though. people who use tap water conditioner have more algae issues than people who use r.o.d.i. water. that's gotta tell you something. it doesn't matter what the local water company tells you. the trouble is, the source water is already laden with impurities from various places: pipes it travels through, the earth it was strained through, the tanks it's held in, the streams it came from that traveled past those factories.....
believe me, NJ doesn't purposely add codeine to the water supply to keep the jersey folks level headed...

ajer

Ok. Can I use a Resin filter such as the the "Tap water filter" on **************.com or does that not really do anything? And if i was going to get a RO unit which on should i get? Is DI essential? I would like to spend only up to 150 dollars on this. Is something like the "Coralife Pure-Flo II RO Unit 24 GPD" good? And is 24 GPD enough for a 24 gallon tank (25% water changes weekly+top off).Thanks!

ds450x

I called coralife and all of their units are the same besides the membrane gpd. You can buy a the cheaper gpd unit and later down the road ungrade the membrane to a 50 or 100 gpd when you get a bigger tank or want more water. I was looking at getting a 100 or 150 gpd membrane for mine?

mr_x

99% of all RODI units are universal.
the tap water filter you speak of Ajer will go through filters like there's no tomorrow. it will cost you more in the long run.

ajer

OK. First of all, I have used Coralife products a lot if the past but do any of you have experience with the Coralife Pure-Flo II RO Units? Also, should I pay the extra 15 dollars to upgrade the initial TFC membrane to 50 GPD rather than 24 GPD? In addition is it OK that the Pure-Flo's I am looking at don't have DI (it would be another 17 dollars on top of the 15 to upgrade to a 50 GPD with DI unit)?

My brain is overheating after all that research

jeanheckle

Originally Posted by frogdog
http:///forum/post/2797576
also, you can let the "bad" water drain into the washing machine, and wash clothes w/ it.
I love it!! I will seriously start doing that tomorrow. I always hated wasting the water. Thanks for that brilliant idea

ds450x

Originally Posted by Ajer
http:///forum/post/2798621
OK. First of all, I have used Coralife products a lot if the past but do any of you have experience with the Coralife Pure-Flo II RO Units? Also, should I pay the extra 15 dollars to upgrade the initial TFC membrane to 50 GPD rather than 24 GPD? In addition is it OK that the Pure-Flo's I am looking at don't have DI (it would be another 17 dollars on top of the 15 to upgrade to a 50 GPD with DI unit)?

My brain is overheating after all that research

Yes, upgrading the unit in the begining would be the best since a 50 gpd membrane starts at $40 plus shipping. Mine doesnt have a DI. If anyone can add onto the di part of this?

mr_x

yes, you can add a DI cannister to your unit ds450x.
T316- you have some very good water!

Originally Posted by ds450x
http:///forum/post/2797595
Okay I guess I will start using it all the time then. And everyone seems to know alot here. Is there any difference in refractometers, like cheaper ones and expensive onces. I was looking at not spending alot for one.
Don't get a cheap refactometer, the swing arms don't work that well. You can get a nice one for around $40, check online.
Use the RO unit and water your plants, or pour it back on the ground, it will go back into the ground water.

ajer

What i think i am going to do is get the Coralife Pure-Flo II RO Unit 50 GPD. It doesn't have DI, but where i am living now as i said has pretty good water. I can add DI on later if needed for about 50 bucks. The RO filter with shipping and a coupon is going to cost me $130. Is that a good price for a 50 GPD unit? I should be ordering the unit in early november.
Thanks.