How many power head.?

chevcam

I have a 90 gal wave tank. My question is how many power heads should i have and where in the tank should I place them. Right now I have two and they are both pointing to the center one a little higher then the other one.

mrmaroon

Are you running a sump or just hang on the back filtration? If you have a sump, how strong is the flow coming out? Or what kind of hang on the back filters do you have? Also, what gph rating are your power heads? Do you notice any dead spots where the water is not circulating?

chevcam

I do have a sump and I have really good flow into the main tank as for dead spot that is what i'm tring to find out . I'm fighting the red slime algea problem now and I read that good water flow will help with out breaks. as for my power heads they are the aquaclear 70 not sure on the flow rate. any sugestions on placement would be great!

tim_12

You need 10x - 20x hourly turnover depending on your type of system. FO usually require less, reef requires more. The total turnover includes powerheads, HOB filters, return line from sump, anything that creates water movement in the main tank.
Each of your Aquaclear 70's put out 300GPH without flow control. Unless your return is more than 300GPH, you're falling short of your bare minimum of 900GPH of water movement. Look up info on a closed loop system and see if it would work for you. MelevsReef.com has a great demonstration of one.