how many raw shrimp?

jawfish177

just wondering how many raw shrimp should i put in my 55 gal FOWLR (20 lbs) tank and how many days should i leave them there?
the tank has been cycling for 2 weeks, also used BIOZYME..
Ammonia = had a spike yesterday = .20 i think
Nitrite = 0
PH = a little low = needs buffer
we're also doing a 15 % water change tonight..
thanks again...

zari

You don't need to do a water change during cycling. It has to go through this to cycle. First your ammonia will spike, then your nitrites will rise, then nitrates. As for using the raw shrimp, I would leave it in the tank for 3-4 days then remove it.
Zari

marty

Your tank is already cycling. Why do you want to add dead shrimp? Yes, I know the usage of raw shrimp, but you have 20 lbs of lr and you used biozyme. Raw shrimp typically is used to start the process and is keep in there forever (it will disappear over time).
However, since you asked the question, I would use 1, maybe 2 and would probably take them out after a couple days since your tank is already cycling.
Be patient too. Your tank will go thru alot of changes in water parameters, especially if you had shrimp to "re-start" a cycle.
I agree about not doing a water change. Let the process go naturally this point forward until zero ammonia and nitrites. Do your water tests to keep you interested, but your tank will need another 2-4 weeks to complete it cycle.
Hope this helps!

karlas

just let the cycle go your nitrites have to spike also both ammonia and trites are toxic to fish. i would throw 2-3 shrimp in and let it go. this is the beginning of the bacteria and as it build up it will work on the shrimp and it will dissappear. you will never know it was even there