How many T5's on 55g?

smork81

I am upgrading my lighting on a 55g...Will 8 t5's even fit on there? its a normal 48 inch tank. And will that be too much light for softies and LPS?

threed240

Yep they will fit. T5's are only about as big around as your finger. 8 would be probably less than 12" wide, with reflectors, and a standard 55g is around 13.5".

fishfreek

Yes, t-5's will keep clams and sps corals. I would go with a 4 or 5 bulb fixture or retro with individual reflectors. The individual reflectors are the key to these bulbs. Any more than 5 bulbs is overkill IMO.

smork81

Could you guys give me some good ideas on lights fixtures within like $400-$600 range for my 55g? I do not want to retro anything i want the fixture with the right ballasts fans, reflectors etc...ALL IN ONE package deal kinda thing...

chadman

i just put two 150w mh's on my g friends tank...the coralife i believe pendant lights...they clamp on the the back of the tank...if this will work for you i think they are like 200 or less a piece....and they are BRIGHT...they are 14 or 15k i forget so they are pretty blue...and the mh shimmer is saweeet!!

dragonzim

I dont think you'll be able to fit 8 bulbs over a 55 with anything coming close to a decent reflector. T5 bulbs need indivisual relfectors for the to be really effective. I've got a 6 bulb TekT5 fixture over my 75, which is 6 inches wider than a 55 and I dont even know if I'd fit 8 over that. For a 55, I'd go with a 4 bulb fixture, again, with individual reflectors.

gwh57

Originally Posted by DragonZim
I dont think you'll be able to fit 8 bulbs over a 55 with anything coming close to a decent reflector. T5 bulbs need indivisual relfectors for the to be really effective. I've got a 6 bulb TekT5 fixture over my 75, which is 6 inches wider than a 55 and I dont even know if I'd fit 8 over that. For a 55, I'd go with a 4 bulb fixture, again, with individual reflectors.
My 55 has individual reflectors and 4 bulbs are all it will hold.

And all it needs.

smork81

Do the tek t5 fixtures have the individual reflectors on them or will i have ot buy them seperatly...I cant tel from the picture of the 4 lamp 54 watt fixture

smork81

This is what it says about the reflector.....is that good?
This This 4ft 4 bulb - 216W fluorescent aquarium light includes 95% German aluminum Tek Reflectors for superior reflectivity