I was wondering if I could keep 3 Tangs in my 125. I currently have
1 Clown Tang
1 Sailfin Tang
1 Maroon Clown
2 3 strip Damsels
2 other Damsels
1 Copperband Butterfly
3 Gobies.
I want the Hippo Tang. If 3 is too many could I get rid of the Sailfin and would the Clown and the Hippo get along?
I was also going to get another Maroon Clown. and get rid of the Damsels when I do.

laredo300c

not sure, i think the clown tang is a tall order agressive wise.....but i've seen 125 with up to 5 tangs.....i would worry bout your damsels....they get big, get nasty and terrorize the tank....just my 2 cents

laredo300c

sorry i just read that you will be getting rid of your damsels...good luck ...that is another problem all together...getting them out

sepulatian

The clown reaches 18", the sailfin reaches 15" and the hippo reaches well over 12" That is way too many in a 125. You don't have enough room for the clown as an adult, let alone everyone else. You may want to get rid of the damsels, they will pick on everyone, no matter what the size. If you realy want the hippo, get rid of the clown. He will grow the largest of the three.

seattle

Woah that is surprizing saying alot of you already broke the rule
But then again,I don't know much about Clown Tangs so my opinion shouldn't be here,really.

xtyx

My clown Tang is only 3-4 inches now. My Sailfin is around 6. Guess I probably will just keep these two and go for one more Maroon Clown and get rid of the Damsels. Thanks for the replys.

xtyx

I read that the Clown tang is a hard fish to keep. What makes it hard to keep. My butterfly is the one that makes me worried.

R

reefermadn

Originally Posted by sepulatian
The clown reaches 18", the sailfin reaches 15" and the hippo reaches well over 12" That is way too many in a 125. You don't have enough room for the clown as an adult, let alone everyone else. You may want to get rid of the damsels, they will pick on everyone, no matter what the size. If you realy want the hippo, get rid of the clown. He will grow the largest of the three.
I disagree! Alot depends on husbandry! If the aquarist keeps his/her water pristine there is no reason a 125G tank can not have the 3 tangs mentioned (Not accounting for aggression).
I have 4 reef tanks in my home and manage a LFS. In my 120G I have a Large Sailfin, A Large Naso and a Large Powder Blue. (Large being 6-7 inches). Technically this should be considered medium size for the tangs most most people that see them go "Wow those are big".
Also, Sailfin tang will grow to 18 inces plus, Not 15. I still want and will add an Achilles witch only gets to 9.4 inches.
My powder Blue should max out at 9.1 inches.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by ReeferMadn
I disagree! Alot depends on husbandry! If the aquarist keeps his/her water pristine there is no reason a 125G tank can not have the 3 tangs mentioned (Not accounting for aggression).
The problem is you cant discount aggression among Tangs. Especially not overcrowded ones.
Darth summed it up best:
"No."

jmerk

I second ophiura. I think that if you really want a tang, get rid of the clown and the sailfin and get a hippo only. The getting rid of the damsels will be good for your tank, especially with a hippo and Gold stripe clown. BTW: If you do get the other clown, these clowns will get aggressive and territorial with other clowns so if you get another clown, you may want to get another anemone (if you already had one).
Jmerk

sepulatian

Originally Posted by ReeferMadn
I have 4 reef tanks in my home and manage a LFS. In my 120G I have a Large Sailfin, A Large Naso and a Large Powder Blue. (Large being 6-7 inches). Technically this should be considered medium size for the tangs most most people that see them go "Wow those are big".
Also, Sailfin tang will grow to 18 inces plus, Not 15. I still want and will add an Achilles witch only gets to 9.4 inches.
My powder Blue should max out at 9.1 inches.
You cannot "not" account for aggression with tangs, as Journey said. In your 120 you have a sailfin, a naso, and a powder blue, that is fine alone. They are 6-7 inches right now. I am happy for you. They will outgrow that tank sooner or later. Short term success does not mean long term success for these fish.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by xtyx
I read that the Clown tang is a hard fish to keep. What makes it hard to keep. My butterfly is the one that makes me worried.
Clown tangs get large and are quite aggressive. They are mainly herbivores and are not afraid to use their caudal spine to get their food. You will see the aggression get worse as he gets older. Feed him lots of foods for herbivores. Young ones are often sold that are emaciated. It is difficult to revive them. They may not take to prepared foods.

1journeyman

Originally Posted by Seattle
Uuuummm.....Sometimes I think you people are crazy.

No Seattle, we are trying to give good advice as responsible aquarists....

xtyx

Originally Posted by sepulatian
Clown tangs get large and are quite aggressive. They are mainly herbivores and are not afraid to use their caudal spine to get their food. You will see the aggression get worse as he gets older. Feed him lots of foods for herbivores. Young ones are often sold that are emaciated. It is difficult to revive them. They may not take to prepared foods.
I mix the diet daily. Formula 1, 2, reef, Frozen Krill, Mysis shrimp. He eats everything I give him. Hopefully he will live a long happy life. He is my favorite fish I currently have so I don't want to give him up.