How many turbo snails & hermit crabs?

chuckstr

I have a 75 gallon, 10 gallon sump and a 10 gallon refugium. Approx. 100 pounds liverock, 3 chomies, royal gramma, 9 turbo snails, 10 Hermit Crabs, 8 snails that go down in the sand, hammer coral, and mushrooms.
My question is how many snails and hermit crabs should I have in my main tank and in the refugium?

saltfan

Are your current guys keeping the stuff clean? I have a 135g, 10 Turbos, and 15 hermits, they are doing their job, so I do not add anymore.

chuckstr

They appear to be doing ok. My nitrates have been running about 20. Will they help lower it at all?
I do not have any in the new refuguim. How many should I have in it?
I have have read that some people have 50 snails in their tank. :hilarious

saltfan

Yea, some keep a truck load of them, but they don't tell you how many empty shells they have in there either, from dead ones they starved. I wouldn't put em in the Fuge, they'll eat the good stuff you have growing in there. Keeps trates low? they help, by eating the leftovers, good maintenance keeps them low.

chuckstr

I have to clean the glass every couple days on the front and sides. I am not worried about the back.
Would more snails help with keeping the glass clean?

saltfan

From what I have seen, almost everyone I have heard from or have seen, has to clean the glass.