how many wats per gallon for heater?

tennisace

I can't remember right now, and I'm going to get my heater today, since it is a 90g, how many wats do I need?

squidd

Part of that depends on where you live and the "surrounding" ambient temps, but..
5 watts per gallon is a good starting point (450 watts +/- for a 90) and "splitting" them or running two heaters can be a tank saver..
The two in combination will be enough to keep your tank up to temp on the coldest night, and if one goes out (dies) the other can help maintain temps till you discover the outage and if one sticks "On" it isn't strong enough to "cook" the tank, again giving you time to discover the problem ...

tennisace

Originally Posted by Squidd
Part of that depends on where you live and the "surronding" ambient temps, but..
5 watts per gallon is a good starting point (450 watts +/- for a 90) and "splitting" them or running two heaters can be a tank saver..
The two in combination will be enough to keep your tank up to temp on the coldest night, and if one goes out (dies) the other can help maintain temps till you discover the outage and if one sticks "On" it isn't strong enough to "cook" the tank, again giving you time to discover the problem ...
thanks a lot