how many watts for a 29 gallon?

galina

How many watts would be required for a 29 gallon reef tank with 50-60 pounds liverock, and live corals?
Galina

striker

It all depends on what you want to keep and even then everyone has different opinions. After you decide what you want in your tank you can research and decide on the lighting. I just upgraded my 29gallon from 2-30watt to 2-95watt vho.

tru conch

over my 29 i am runnig two 55 watt pc lights (the 50/50s) and my softies are happy. depends on what coral you want. hth

josh

Hi,
Well for softies, 100 watts of pc lighting would be fine, that is what I use and haven't had a problem with any corals yet. If you are thinking of SPS, then MH is the only way to go, maybe someone can offer more advise on that one.
Hey Conch - - - - I noticed where you have 2 50/50 pc lights, do you think the look is better than standard 1 and 1 light combo? Also, how do you control the dusk/dawn biz having the 50/50 combos??? just wondering, thanks
-Josh-

tru conch

i like the coloration of the 50/50s if i want to have a more "white" light i will throw on a 24in strip light with a 1000k no bulb in it. but i dont run it all the time though.
as for the dusk dawn effect, i just turn on surrounding lights first, then just one light on for about 30 min, right before i leave for school i flip on the other light.
i really never thought about running one daylight and one pure acinitc light, the 50/50s came with the hood and im happy. maybe when i go to replace them i will switch over though, see what it looks like.