How many Watts?

nate_m

I'm going to be converting my 50g corner FOWLR tank over to a reef tank. Its 22" deep and an odd shape for most standard hoods.
My questions is how much light do I need to keep a BTA and eventually some polyps?
A couple of options I have scoped out include a 250W HQI metal halide pendant. If I go this route do I need any other flourecents? The second option is a 24" 100W T5 hood. I like option better because i don't need to hang it and it includes the lunar leds.
Thanks!
- Nate

katz

You can get Hamilton MH lights. They sit directly on the tank. My 54g corner has a 36 in Hamilton deluxe light with 250 10k MH and two 96w PC. I love it and when I had a problem with one of the ballast they responded and shipped me out a new one ASAP. If you want the web page for the chea-pest place to purchase one email me at ktdiddle@comcast.net.
Katz

nate_m

The 36" hoods wont fit my aquarium. My tank will only take a 30" hood and I haven't found any 250W HQI in the 30" hood. Thats why I looked at the pendant.
Do you have that hood right above the water, or do you have a glass cover that it sits on?
Thanks for the info.
- Nate

katz

Right on top of the tank with no cover. Mine hangs over a little bit. They make a 24 in setup.
Katz

nate_m

Yah I was looking at their website and that 24" looks like the ticket.
Sent you an email for the website.
So do you run the PC for a couple hours, then turn on the MH with the PC, then just hte PC for a couple more hours?
Recommend the lunar LEDs?

katz

Here is my timing.
PC on at 10 am
MH on at 12pm
MH off at 8 pm
PC off at 10 pm
I do not have any LED on the tank currently. I just use a flashlight with a red lens to look in the tank at nighttime.

Katz

praisethel

Are there consequences to having the halides come on and off with the power compacts? I would like to just have everything turn on and off at the same time......
Thanks