how many watts?

vsecret

So I asked a few days ago what type of lighting I should get to support corals in my 55g - and I was told by many to get the T5 Nova Extreme (48") however looking for that online turns out to be a little more difficult then I thought. I'm not sure what the wattage should be. I have seen them 4x54 - which have the "moon lighting" and then 8x54....which would be best for my tank?
and I'm planning on upgrading to a 90 in about 2 years...so if I can find a setup that would transfer that would be a plus, but not a deal breaker!

S

saxman

if you could specify what type of coral you're interested in keeping that might be helpful, but if you want the quick answer, go with the 8 x 54W fixture, which should cover most anything you decide to keep.

vsecret

I haven't decided what I was to keep. So I'm thinking I will just go with the 8x54 then so I can keep my options open!

bizzmoneyb

id go with the 48 nova extreme PRO. that one is 6 x 54 watt bulbs and has individual reflectors, which you def want. im pretty sure at least one of if not both the 4 and 8 bulb models do not. that should be enough for a 55 and 90.

J

jstdv8

yeah, i think the 8 light doesnt have the individual reflectors, look for the pro models to be sure. I'm running the extreme pro 6 bulb on my 90 and its putting out quite a bit of light. all of my softies have to be on the bottom of the tank or they get burnt so it seems to be putting out a good amount of par even in the deeper parts of the tank.

vsecret

Thanks for the tips on the Pro version! I would not have known, and thats great that it'll work on a 90g too!

bayreefer

I saw a few sites claiming that the 8 bulb nova extremes are individually reflected, are they lying?
Now Im finding other sites that say the fixture has a German parabolic reflector
Sorry, I tried to help, but I may have just made it more confusing

vsecret

So I decided when I upgrade I'm going from a 55g to a 120g. Will the T5 Nova Extreme Pro 6x54 be enough for a 120?

gill again68

You will be able to grow all the softies but not LPS and SPS. I say that now you can put stuff at the very top of the tank and it will do ok but IMO as far as placing things just where you wish this lighting will be very limited. I have an icecap 660 that overdrives my bulbs to 84 watts. Now if you were doing that with the 6 bulbs then your getting somewhere.
I am certainly no expert and will take all the correction people want to give but your talking around 2.7 watts per gallon if you use that calculation. I think thats low.

vsecret

it says "Cool running performance ballasts and internal fans keep things cool and efficient, while independent lighting controls are included to operate the full complement of T5 HO 10,000K & 460nm bulbs in a day/night cycle"