How mean are CC stars?

alyssia

I've been thinking about getting one for my FOWLR but I'm afraid it will hurt something. It's a 55 gallon and I have:
1 purple pseudo
1 chromis
1 O. clown
1 pygmy angel
1 pink and blue goby
turbo and cerith snails
a few hermits
knobby star (sold on this site, don't know the scientific name)
Whatcha guys think?

rykna

A Choc chip star? I don't know......I would tend to stay away from more aggressive stars cause i have a reef tank....but not sure if it would bother your tank. :thinking:
Totally different subject:

Our digital camera has a usb port connection to the computer. turn the camera off,plug in the usb ports. one end goes into your camera, the other end into a usb port on your computer. Our camera has 3 settings: OFF, green arrow, and ON or picture mode. Once you have the camera and computer connected. Turn your camera to the green arrow mode. In a minute you should hear a little tone from your computer which means your camera has been detected.
Most computers will then open a list of choices in viewing.....cancel this.
Then go to your start up menu, select "my computer". This will open up a list of your computer drives, includng the new connection of your camera. Double click on the camera drive. 1st there should be a folder, double click that and open it, the next folder should open up to your pictures.
Select all, copy, and then go to the file where you want to store you pictures, and paste!!!!! When the pasting is finished You can turn off you camera(and latter delete the pics on your camera to make room for more).
Next open your photo program, I use paintshop pro. Choose open file, and select the file you just pasted you pics into, and TAAAAAAADAAAAAAAAAAH. now you can resize them and show them off!!!!!!!!! Let me know if you need more help

jmick

mean??
I wouldn't say they are mean but they are opportunistic. They will eat corals and it's possible it would eat a sick fish but I don't think it'd be a problem so long as everything in your system is healthy. I think it'd be fine in a FOWLR.

dchec2100

Mine lives happily in my 55 with 2 perc clowns, a flame angel, a cleaner shrimp, a peppermint shrimp, and assortment of crabs and snails.
He often hangs on the side of the glass facing me, at the surface bent forward. I hand feed him a piece of crab from the supermarket or dried shrimp, and he's happy. Never had any problems with him... I'd say you're fine.

alyssia

Thanks for the quick replys guys...I have a reef also but it would definitely be going in my FOWLR. I know it would devour corals! I'm mainly concerned about my snails and hermits.
Rynka, thanks for the picture tips!

hot883

Originally Posted by alyssia
Thanks for the quick replys guys...I have a reef also but it would definitely be going in my FOWLR. I know it would devour corals! I'm mainly concerned about my snails and hermits.
Rynka, thanks for the picture tips!
I watched one at a LFS kill/eat 3 large snails. Thats why I will not have one.

alyssia

Originally Posted by hot883
I watched one at a LFS kill/eat 3 large snails. Thats why I will not have one.

That's what I'm afraid of. I will definitely have to think on this one.
BTW, thanks for letting me judge! It was nice getting to know ya!

20gallon

I had one last year that was constantly trying to eat my snails & zoo's, Was always pulling shell from under him. Finally sold him to someone who was putting him in a fish only tank. Beautiful starfish that will constantly consume anything it can cover over.

lovethesea

very fun to watch.....make sure your rock is VERY stable.
They are carnivores........FOWLR only
Plus they will eat your snails if they get a hold of them. We spot feed ours a slice of shirmp every few days.

sea slug

I have a pretty big CC star in my 12 gal exile nano cube where i put all the destructive fishies and I never feed him he's always sucking down hair alge or however starfishes eat

alyssia

Originally Posted by Sea Slug
I have a pretty big CC star in my 12 gal exile nano cube where i put all the destructive fishies and I never feed him he's always sucking down hair alge or however starfishes eat

You really should spot feed the poor guy.

dchec2100

Wow, mine has never hurt any of my inverts. I spot feed him every other to every third day... maybe that's why.

ophiura

They are predatory, not mean. They pose a definite threat to snails, sponges, clams, other stars...just about anything slow or sessile. Less common threat to fish, IMO, though certainly dead one's. I would not in general consider them a fish eater.
They may or may not display and of this behavior depending on feeding (which should be very diverse, BTW...algae, meaty, everything). And even with feeding it may still follow its natural instincts.
Your knobby star is basically like a Linckia. You will need a lot of LR with it for sure, but a chocolate chip star would be a threat to it, IMO.