How much and how often to feed fish

xdave

Every book written about the hobby says somewhere between these guidelines: feed 2 to several times a day, no more than your livestock can finish in 2 to 5 minutes. The amount per feeding guideline is very important.

bracebldrs

i feed every day little amounts ,ok some times i skip a day.
imo ,the key is to pull up a chair and watch them eat .thats how
you get the feel for what they need.i like to keep my live stock at the
level that when you feed them ,they dash for the food.if there not
your over feeding.

stanlalee

I tend to research the fish 1rst. my only fish right now is a tang and research says they have an inefficient digestive track (in one end and out the other without a whole lot actually being processed and taken in by the digestive track) therefore they have a need to eat alot. So I feed staple food twice daily (formula one or two, tetra marine pellets or emerald entree frozen) and an algae sheet daily which I let just a little (1/4") hang down in the water. He eats what hangs down immediately but throughout the day when I think about it I keep moving it down until by the end of the day none is left. Must work since I bought the fish online last spring described as size "tiny" (although it was about 1.5" and not the .75-1" it was suppose to be) and now its darn near 3" and the only real reason I bought a 6ft tank.
kept clowns and damsels for two yrs feeding once every 2-3days
for $6-10 fish I based my feeding on keeping water quality decent.

hatessushi

I feed my fish everyday at the same time I feed my dog. When they see me with the small bowl I put the food in they start circling yet at other times they see me they don't. It's only when I have the bowl in my hands.
I prepare my own fish food rather then store bought food (see Beths fish food recipe at the top of the Disease and Treatment forum). I feed them this with fresh garlic, Selcon, and Vita-Chem. The only store bought food I give them is mysis shrimp. The reason I don't use the industry process fish foods is because the foods like Formula 1 and 2 are mostly water, about 95% I think. The fish don't need more water. It's also way more expensive then making your own food. I also feed my fish nori. I make enough at a time for about 3 months and it takes about as long to make it as it does to run to the lfs and buy it. It cost me about $6 for 3 months worth.