How much Calcium is to much?

dundar

I have been trying to get my PH up and it has risen slowly over the past week. My water right now is running at 7.9 PH and I want to raise it to 8.1 over the next week. How fast can I rasie it and how much calcium is to much my Cal levels are at 500 or so and will probably rasie to 600 or even higher by the time I'm done unless I use something other than Kalk mix. I don't know what to do if the calcium levels get to high, help.

fshhub

WHAT IS YOUR ALKALINITY??
and are you using kalk to raise the ph??
if your alk and calcium are fine, then don't use kalk. If your alk is low, use a buffer to raise the alk and ph simultaniously, tif the calcium gets too high, you can do a water change to reduce it some. BUT I would not be using kalk to raise ph, in fact I don't use it to raise anything, only as a maintenance type additive, not an increaser.

dundar

Sorry I should have posted my Alk its low and that is another reason that I'm using Kalk. My GKH is at 150 ppm and I was told that it should be around 200 ppm I'm trying to rais it just up to 200 ppm slowly.

fshhub

get a buffer, like seachem reef builder, is what I have
Kalk does very little for raising, IMO it is great mereely for maintenance in keeping it stable. AND killing aiptasia.

dundar

Thanks for the info but just for my info how much is to much Calcium? I can't find any info in my books or some of the web pages I go to.

jrb384

i agree with the last post. 400-450. in the back of my test kit books thats what it says also. and, the test book for ph says not to raise the ph levels by more than 0.5 per day. I dont know why, but thats what it says. I use kalk, and I use tech a and tech b, and my ph is usually always stable and at 8.2 but i couldnt tell you exactly why. i need to read up more on it.

broomer5

I agree with everything above.
If your alkalinity is low - add bicarbonates/carbonates in the form an alkalinity builder. This should help to elevate your pH over time.
Adding a pH increaser buffer is okay as well, but I would try and get the alkalinity up first - and see how this affects the pH.
Normal seawater has about 380 to 420 ppm calcium - that's what I shoot for ( providing my alk and pH are within acceptable ranges )
Anything above 450 ppm - I think you're asking for problems with your other two levels ( alk/pH )
MO