How Much Flow In A 210

nyaux

Good morning ,
I was wondering how much flow would I need in a 210 gallon tank..It has two overflows i think about an inch, I plan on doing a reef tank. I want to add a sump an fuge to it . the tank came with a cpr wet dry ..how do I plumb it if i want to add a 30 gallon tank as a fuge. What pumps do you think would be best for the return an closed loop system. Any help will be great .. Also what do you think I should stock it with .. I would love some angels an colorful fish..

squidd

My thoughts on Turnover/Suggested turnover rates...
FOWLR : (Fish Only with Live Rock) 10X to 15X Depending on species, some like Box fish/Cow fish need slower water or "some" protected areas, others like Tangs and most Aggressive do better (filtration wise) with more flow due to high waste load.
Reef, Softies only: 10X to 15X Good rate for filtration, but not too fast as some "branching" softies won't open fully if blown around too much...
Reef, Softie and LPS: 15X to 20X with "protected" areas for branching softies (see above)
Reef, LPS: 20X to 25X Excellent flow for filtration and keeping deitrus suspended and movement of micro flora and Fauna food supply as well as "waste" and slime removal from coral bedding areas...
Reef LPS and SPS: 20X to 30X More flow is beneficial to SPS, but some "protected areas" are needed for "pillowy" inflating LPS as they too do not appreciate being blown around.
Reef, SPS: 25X and up, 30X is good, more is better: Most SPS do well in high flow situations, with a combination of random and linear flow patterns (flow control, wave and surge action, mix it up) Benefit to filtration, deitrus suspension, Oxygenation, waste and aelopathy removal and micro flora and fauna feeding...
This is a "General" recommendation for "Total" turnover which is a combination of sump return and supplemental circulation devices "IN" the tank (power heads/closed loop etc...) and with any species there will be exceptions to the rule (some softies are OK in high flow, some SPS don't like getting blasted)
Much of your success and failure with these projected flow rates will come from Rock layout and flow Output direction...Due to varying Rock scape, tank size/shape, and circulation layout (rock/tank wall deflection, caves, competing/canceling effect of flow movement) You may find you need higher or lower "Pump numbers" to get the desired "flow effect" in your tank, sometimes a rearranging of rock scape or redirecting power heads is all it takes, sometimes you'll need to "UP" the pumping capacity...

nyaux

Thanks for the info Squidd, I plan on doing a little of everything in my 210. what pumps would some one recomend? looking to get two pumps ..one for closed loop an one for return.

S

shark bait

You could use a valve to regulate the flow of water into the sump. This can allow you to use a high flow in or stop the flow if needed. Then on the return you can put a ball reverse flow joint to prevent back flow in to the sump and use a small quiet external spa pump or something of the type to give you the flow you want. Most of the smaller quite external returm pumps can do 600-2400 gph so pick one that will have the amount of flow needed for your corals at the movement to provide a good home.