How Much Flow is Too Much Flow?

woody189

Hi. I'm cycling a 46 gal bowfront. I currently have 2 Koralia 2's on opposite ends of the tank (600 GPH each). I'm not including the my sump pump.
I want to purchase another PH or 2, and I was thinking about getting 2 Maxi Jet 600 (750 GPH each)
Would this be overkill? I plan on having regular community fish and later on some hardy corals and probably a clam. I don't want my fishies to be fighting the current, but I want some good flow. Should I just get a couple smaller PH's?
I would use the attachment that makes the MJ more like a Koralia with a wide flow rather than one of those PH's with a flow that's concentrated in spot.

acrylic51

Might be a tad on the overkill, but really depends what your planning on keeping and your rock work.....Rock work can really cut down on flow depending how it's laid out.....

xcali1985

If you start stirring up your sand, or your corals won't open, then you have to much flow. Outside of that no setup is the same, rockwork along with pump size, placement, type of livestock will all play a part in your decision.

woody189

Thanks for the info. I may just get a 500 gph and a 750 gph. It's just so easy to go big because there is only a $1 difference between the two and I'd hate to not upgrade