How much for liverock?

brycewood

So I finally added more live rock to my aquarium. Now I would guess about 14 lbs of live rock, 10 lbs of dead, and ~30 lbs of sand. For a 25 gallon.
But I was paying 7.50 a pound for the damn rock!! Ugh. It was cured and quite healthy with a couple small pod hangers and some coraline already on it. But still. How bad are your LFS on gouging you on LR?
Would this much live material and a carbon/mesh filter be enough or should I get a bit more biological filtration?
Thanks,
Bryce

blemmy_guy

You got it lucky, my lfs charges 10 dollars a lb!! so obviously i dont buy from them. but its sad isnt it!
todd

rtmarecaux

I've seen the prices range from about 2.25 for nice baserock to 4.00 for baserock.
Liverock is around 5.00 for Fiji, and up to 12.50 for a pound of "Marshal Island" live rock haha. Also known as fiji with coraline on it.

drew2005

Average price around here is $7.99 a lb usually Fiji or Tonga. I have seen $12.99 a lb for Tonga.

thangbom

$6 bucks hear in jersy.. well at my lfs anyhow.. other places are the reg 7.50 .. i rather buy it online..

1journeyman

I'm happy with the uncure Tonga Kaelini I bought online (the Fiji I bought online not so much..)... imho better to cure it yourself than to let a lfs do it.

sato

Originally Posted by stunna1212
live rock here in NW florida is only $1.50 Lb for live fiji rock!!! great price huh?
I hate you...

murph145

i pay $3.99 here too in southern california and i thought that was high!!! geeze some of u are gonna go broke puttin the damn rock in ur tank :yes:

connor

i pay 3.99-4.99 depending how much i buy i buy everything at this 1 lfs they know that to im in there 6 if 7 days a week so they give me a lot of good deals :D

mr_bill

I get good deals on the little pieces, probably because the guys don't want to weigh them. 5$ for about 8 pounds, and there are some real gems in the small chunks just took alot of work in the big rock tub they have.

diadema

depends where you go.
I've paid 9.99 for Marshall Islands stuff - REALLY nice...
I've seen fiji "premium" (with free aptasia!!) for as much as $15 a pound...
Just ordered some Marshall Island rock online for $3.99 a pound. Seems like that's a pretty good price.

jrandolph1

I live in central Fl. and the cheapest I have found is $6.99 for Fiji. Where-about do you reside? I just can't buy rock sight unseen (via internet) and would love to visit your lfs. We are trying to fill our 250 gal tank with live rock and refuse to get a second

[hr]
to do it.

evilss

well here the prices are anywhere from 7.99 to 11.99. so i order online now. when i lived in southern california i bought buna branch for 1.50 per pound and 2.00 for fiji. that wasnt from a lfs but from a guy that sold rock on the side. very nice rock as well.
i say get it online. you can get it shipped cheaper than going to the lfs. i have been getting rock around 3.35 per pound. you cant pick out your individual pieces but with everyone i have ordered from, you can specify the sizes you are looking for and get pretty much what you want anyway. so i will continue to order online unless i find someone in alabama selling rock for cheap.

jeremyglen

The LFSs around here in central Texas sell fiji for 5.50-7.00 a lb. I don't buy it from them ever. I always use the internet and don't buy the rock if I can't get it for $3.00/lb shipping and all. I have a 29g tank just for curing my rock when I get it in, so I guess I can afford to get the uncured stuff that re-cycles most peoples tanks.