How much GPH?

saltyfish

I have a 55 gal and i'm ready to buy the pump. I know the rule of 10 x so that would be 600gph but how much is too much? 800 , 1000? more? Its a fish only for now but will be a reef tank after everything cycles.
Also if you want to recomend i good pump thats cool too. I'm leaning towards a little giant extrnal. It has to be extrnal.

david s

to much would be more than your overflow or so the sand would kick everywere and fish would be in a tide pool 10 is quite a bit it depends on if you use spray bars and stuff so all the flow is not thru one return and stuff too

surfnturf

Actually, from what I've read the recommendation is 6 times per hour being adequate and 10 being ideal in a reef setup. I wouldn't go nuts on a 55 gallon tank 500 gallons an hour should be fine. Too much flow would be evident if your fish were splattered against the glass like bugs on a windshield:D

jmesmcm

I am running a Mag 7 on my 58 gallon which seemed perfect until I added a chiller on the return line to the tank, now I am upgrading the pump to a Mag 9 to increase my turnover back up to where it seems it should be.