tank
cabinet
filteration system
lighting
reef/coral
fish etc
arount of time

nicky1.8t

over 5,000, and thats is with a generous discount from the lfs.
72 gallob bow
40 gallon breeder for sump
custom built stand and canopy
marine life aquatics calcium reactor
2x 250 watt metal halide
2x 110 watt vho actinic
euro reef skimmer
gen x mak 4 closed loop pump
3 maxi jets, on wavemaster pro
10 gallon refuge
livestock, and corals would take too long, but you get the idea. This hobby is like a sickness, and let me tell you I must be really sick, cause I cant get enough!

ags

I had a party one night and someone asked me this question. I made the horrible mistake of calculating the cost, out loud, not realizing my girlfriend was standing behind me.
BIG MISTAKE!!
Since then I refuse to add the cost up. For my well being.

nicky1.8t

The best part of telling someone how much you have spent, is when the freak out. "you spent 5k on a fish tank." they are always the ones who stare at it for hours on end!

legion

too much, but its always worth it....unless I buy junk equipment and find out later
a.k.a. prism skimmer, 7100k actinics, etc.....

scott9311

Six months ago, I spent approx. $2K on my 120 (and that's w/a DIY stand and canopy). I'm now in the process of pricing up a 270 gal system I plan on getting next month... and I'm up to $5K on that one! I remember it well a year ago... A co-worker was selling his 55 gal reef for $400, and I thought it would look nice in my place. Little did I know this was like crack :scared:

sekura

im about to begina the project feb 1st ill post my investment as soon as i tally. for 110 gal
im already tring to convince my wife about how nice it would be to have 500 gal for her living room lol

yaksplat

The cost doesn't matter. It's a hobby. If you ask someone how much they have invested in their dog they'd look at you weird.

golfish

Originally posted by yaksplat
The cost doesn't matter. It's a hobby. If you ask someone how much they have invested in their dog they'd look at you weird.

maybe not wierd..We just bought our second Golden Retriever (first one passed on a few years ago). Haven't even picked the dog out from the litter yet and we're in the hole 1100.00...
FWIW, I have about 10 grand invested in my 120, If you were to add up all the junked I bought in the past 21 years you could probably buy a new truck.

beckzilla

Tenecor 110 gallon tank with stand and canopy...$1800 Corals, fish and LR...$1500 Pumps, heaters, skimmers, sumps and fuges...$1200...Food, additives and test equipment...$800 Labor involved in setup, plumbing,electrical,RO installation, water changes, feeding, cleaning, scraping and just watching the inhabitants...0 the end result.............Priceless :D

jeepboy

I stopped worrying about the cost long ago. I realized its better to buy quality componets that work then go cheap and then have them break on you. I just spent $700 on 2 powerheads this weekend....yet I know my tank will benefit and so will I from seeing it flourish.

beckzilla

Originally posted by sekura
Hope mine comes as beautiful wen im done
Is that customized tank?

It is customized...canopy was heightened to accomodate lighting and cooling fans, and had overflows built in.