How much is a Light Timer

kyarnkid

I might buy one of these but, I don't know if i really need it. I turn my lights on around 11:00 AM and turn them off around 11:00PM.
I have a fish only right now with some cleaning inverts. I was wondering If i need a timer. How about when I get corals?
How much do they run for? Are they worth it?

carrie1429

For a fish only tank you don't have to have one, but it would be a good idea. If you get corals though you need a timer. Most of the corals need 10 hours of light so a timer would be good if you get corals. :D

carrie1429

You just plug the light into the timer, then plug the timer into the wall and set what time you want it to go on and off at, very easy to do. ;)

stupid_naso

Just got it two days ago. It works well, I don't have to come home early just to turn off my lights anymore, and in the morning I can wake up later too :D .
It's about 5 bucks, $4.96, plus tax is $5.34 :D .
What you do, is you plug it in, and there is a timer basically, you set when you want it on and when you want it off. There is an intruction inside so buy it, I definitely recommend it.
stupid_naso

ocellaris_keeper

I bought one during the Christmas rush (on sale for $4 at Wal-Mart) - this one has three separate settings for three separate outlets!! I couldn't pass it up.
Oh - as far as using one - just plug it in - I am confident you'll figure it out.

von_rahvin

I would never have a tank without a timer!! it just makes life soooo much easier. make sure that if your lights are 3 prog then you get a 3 prong timer. if the lights think they need a ground then they most likely do.

bbreaux1

i have a digital timer from walmart costed 15$ i started off with the peg one and got two that werent worth a damn.it has 6 settings even though all i use is two one for weekdays one for weekend its thre pronged and i plug that into my gfi outlet and then my surge protector into the timer so i can run my lights off of one timer

beecher

Isnt it kind of confusing to the fish to have a different light cycle during the week and a different light cycle during the weekend? Maybe Not.