How Much Live Rock???

houseplant

ALRIGHT EVERYONE I AM GETTING TONS OF ANSWERS ON THIS NEED SOME OF YOUR EXPERT OPINIONS ON TWO THINGS
1. HOW MUCH LIVE ROCK FOR A 150 GALLON SWIM AND CORAL TANK DO I NEED?
2. HOW MANY POWERHEADS DO I NEED
PLEASE KEEP IN MIND I FAILED TO GET A INTERNAL FILTRATION SYSTEM SETUP ON THIS TANK SO THE ROCK WILL BE MY MAIN FILTRATION SYSTEM. IN ADDITION TO MY PROTEIN SKIMMER AND A FEW TOP MOUNT WATER FILTERS THAT I AM ONLY USING TO MOVE WATER. (MEANING I TOOK OUT THE SPONGES AND CHARCOAL BAGS)

yellowtail

Originally posted by houseplant
1. HOW MUCH LIVE ROCK FOR A 150 GALLON SWIM AND CORAL TANK DO I NEED?..........

the rule of thumb is 1.5 to 2 lbs per gallon but of course more wouldnt hurt. and please turn off caps next time you write a thread because is makes the people reading the post think your yelling at them when your not. *sigh* o technology

golfish

Originally posted by houseplant
ALRIGHT EVERYONE I AM GETTING TONS OF ANSWERS ON THIS NEED SOME OF YOUR EXPERT OPINIONS ON TWO THINGS
1. HOW MUCH LIVE ROCK FOR A 150 GALLON SWIM AND CORAL TANK DO I NEED?
2. HOW MANY POWERHEADS DO I NEED

1) depends on the rock, depends on your fish load too. I have about 130 pounds in my 120. I don't like to have a lot of rock. It taked up too much room.
2) depends on how strong they are. I like to have NO powerheads in my tanks. Closed loops work a lot better for me.

smoothounds

I have 120 pounds of figi live rock in a 46 gallon. The more liverock the better. I bet you could fit a good 250-300 pounds in there. I know a place that sells live rock for $2 a pound(figi). Email me and I'll give you the link ZachHoerth@aol.com. As for flow you want to turn over your water about 10-15 times with that amount of liverock. Make sure to place powerheads in the rock to prevent detritus build up.