How much live sand???

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyfreah79 http:///t/395026/how-much-live-sand#post_3516201
Starting a 60 SW tank, first timer. How many lbs of live sand should I put in it?
Two inches of sand is all you need. Too deep and stuff gets trapped down in it. Try one 40lb bag and see how much that covers....One bag might be enough, but if it isn't, you can add more after you see if you need more. Live sand is better than dry...live reef sand is better than the bacteria loaded live sand in the bags. (SWF sells great reef sand). Stay away from crushed coral, it gets dirty, and the natural cleaners can't do a good job keeping it clean, you would have to vacuum it all the time. Sand is easy for the critters to take care of, I have never had to vacuum my sand in over 10 years of SW fish keeping..

jay0705

It varies whether u wana do fowlr or a reef tank. Its generally ,1 to 2lbs per gallon. U can mix lr and base rock which turns into lr after a few months. I have 40lbs of LR and 20 of base in my 75gal. I add a price of Lr now and then to bulk up

mannyfreah79

It varies whether u wana do fowlr or a reef tank. Its generally ,1 to 2lbs per gallon. U can mix lr and base rock which turns into lr after a few months. I have 40lbs of LR and 20 of base in my 75gal. I add a price of Lr now and then to bulk upSince its my first SW tank, I want to start with fowlr. Which LR should I use?

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mannyfreah79 http:///t/395026/how-much-live-sand#post_3516236
Since its my first SW tank, I want to start with fowlr. Which LR should I use?
I went to the LFS, and hand picked each piece of rock I bought. I selected pieces with lots of nooks and crannies. Lots of purple was another reason of choice. Also it let me see if any aptasia was growing wild in the holding tank. Some folks just order on-line and get what they get. As long as it's live rock for SW, it will work. I also selected some large flat ledges for making cave tops.

mannyfreah79

I went to the LFS, and hand picked each piece of rock I bought. I selected pieces with lots of nooks and crannies. Lots of purple was another reason of choice. Also it let me see if any aptasia was growing wild in the holding tank. Some folks just order on-line and get what they get. As long as it's live rock for SW, it will work. I also selected some large flat ledges for making cave tops.
Thank you for the info!!!

jay0705

Same w me.if u can find lfs that has good rock. That's the best. You can actually look at what your buying. Purple,green, alage. Clams,feather dusters. ECT more good life the better. No apatasia