How much salt in the tank?

y2jason2333

Hello,
I am new and I put salt in my tank a couple of days ago and wondered what do you test the salinty of the water with. I have a test kit that does the ph, nitrite, and nitrate, and ammonia. Just wondering. Thanks alot!
Jason

yelllowtang

You test it with a hydrometer. You can buy them at your lfs.
I have a question. Why did you put salt in the water without a hydrometer?
Before you started this project did you ask your local fish store what you needed to start?
I think you should have looked more into how to start a salt water tank before you started.
Just hope you havn't put any fish in.
your salt could be way to high or way to low.
:rolleyes:

johnnysalt

You're scaring us Jason!! I'm not even going to comment further or ask any questions yet.....I'm too afraid you've jacked up the animals in your tank already (if there are any in there....or any left! :) ) Let us know more about your tank and exactly what your lfs told you. btw, MIX your salt with water (not tap water) BEFORE adding it to tank, and make sure it is around 1.023 specific gravity on the hydrometer....unless of course there are no animals in your tank at all, then you could add salt directly to the tank. Give us some more info on what is happening please and welcome to the board. :cool:
[ August 11, 2001: Message edited by: JohnnySalt ]