how much sand?

jacksonpt

I've got a 75g reef with CC that I want to convert to LS. I'm also setting up a 44g hex corner that will be LS as well. The 75 is 48"x18"x20", and the 44g is 22"x22"x24" I want 4"-5" in both tanks. The HD near me does not carry Southdown, but I found a HD near NYC that does. A friend is going to pick some up for me, but I need to know how much I will need. I was thinking around 50-60lbs for the 45g, and about 125lbs for the 75g. Sound about right?
Thanks

kris walker

There is an equation, and hopefully some one will post it (I forgot). It will allow you to calculate how many pounds of sand to get for a certain depth sand bed. Are you thinking of a 4-6 DSB? Or just a shallow LS bed? If you have or hope to get several fish for either of your tanks, I would suggest you go with a DSB.
EDIT: oops, just read you want 4-5 in. :)
kris

q

It took 170 lbs in my 75 to get 4 inches. I used ESV sand. Not sure on the differences in weight between the brands.
I would get at least 200. The sand is cheep so you can always throw away what you don't use or save it for another tank :D .

broomer5

It took 150 lbs in my 75 - same dimensions as your jackson.
That gave me about 5-6 inches - but it was mixed sugar size and aragonite sand.
Q said it !
Get as much as you friend can handle. I know people that will buy any left over ;)
Plus it's inexpenisve - relatively

nm reef

Length(inches) x width(inches) x desired depth x .0579 = lbs of sand for DSB
Buy all you can and sell the rest....plus I'd suggest at least 1 20lb bag of Natures Ocean ls in each system....great stuff to start a DSB with

Well I had a cool program that was used to calculate the sand depending on the brand SD,etc. But it was lost in the last computer crash.
So I found another one(which I dont like as much)
For you 75g it calls for 175# for a 5" DSB
As for the hex (I'm sure its off a bit because I entered it as a 22"x22" square) but its calling for 98#
I would say pick up atleast 300#=6 bags of southdown. Grab a couple xtra bags because you never know you might want some for a refugium or something
Hope this helps

jacksonpt

Thanks for the info everyone. I'll have him pick up 250lbs of it to split between the 2 tanks. Then I'll add 40lbs of LS to the 75 and 20lbs LS to the 44.