how much space for VHO lights

numnums

I just built my first canopy today and as we were getting done (before installing the lights) I realized that we had neglected to measure the full length of the VHOs and make sure they fit in our design. I know, stupid, but these things happen. Anyway, it fits, but just barely. I built a canopy to hold four 48” VHO lights. The lights will go on the top with the top hinged at the back to open. As I said, they fit but my question is is there any need to have additional space in between the end caps and the sides of the canopy. It seems OK to me but thought someone might have an opinion on this. I can return the lights and go with 46" if this might cause problems but would rather not.
Also, what would everyone suggest for painting/staining the inside of the canopy?
One more thing, I haven't cut it just but intended to install one fan in the center of the lid blowing out and already have 2 inches along the back open for ventilation. I have no idea how hot VHOs get so am not sure this one fan is enough. Opinions?

wwfstyle

VHO do not get very hot. I have 2 50/50 110 watt and I can nearly touch them if I wanted to. If you are looking for venting your lid, have you thought about a fan on 1 side and putting a coupe of small holes on top? Heat rises right? Plus if your back of the lid is open then you should be ok IMO. I have my 2 VHO about 3" from the water and I dont have a problem with my temp.
Now for painting the inside have you thought about a lightgrey hopefully that will help reflect the light back into the tank? I would think a bright color will help. Just a thought never really thought about it before you said something.

T

thomas712

I believe mine is only about 3 inches, don't normally have issues with heat, did catch it once up to 84 and clicked on a fan.
Thomas

T

thomas712

Yes I have 4 lights, 4 36 inch VHO my bulbs are no more than
2 1/2 to 3 inches above the water line. Using an electronic ballast they will get hot but no nearly as hot as you might think, . I would have upgraded lights by now but my wedding keeps sucking me dry, 2 weeks to go. :( :)