How Much T5 For My Tank?

gio28

i have a 36 gallon bowfront and im upgrading from my PCs. im not sure how much T5 my tank would need to keep all types of corals...all the way up to a few SPS maybe. i was thinking between 4-6 24 watt bulbs would be good (if i use good reflectors). i hope 4 bulbs would be enough because my tank has limited space on top of it. by that i mean (excluding the bow on my tank) there is 30"X12" of space where i could hang a canopy.

gio28

oh sorry...forgot to mention that this is DIY. and my tank is only 30" anyways. thanks

gio28

yeah...but do you or anybody else know if 4 bulbs (2X24watt 460NM and 2X24watt 10,000K) would be enough to keep all types of corals? my tank is 20" deep but the lower light corals would be down that far and the SPS on top. i guess i could figure out how to add another bulb of each type so id have 6 bulbs if thats what i need.

gio28

lol i meant 460. i guess i will try 4 bulbs and see how it works out...if not then i will add two more.

gio28

i was just looking at those. the ballasts are kinda pricey but overdriving the bulbs would mean 4 bulbs and not 6 for me. does overdriving them shorten bulb life?

gio28

does anybody know if a ballast comes with a power cord...or do you have to wire a power cord to it?

culp

no it does not come with a power cord. you have to wire on to the green black and white colored wires on the wire harness. takes about 5 minutes.
also if you get two fans, one cooling the end caps on each side the bulb life should be able the same.

gio28

cool thanks for your help. i think i got all the info i need to start the project. the only thing is...can i buy a power cord at home depot or somewhere that is meant to be wired to a ballast?
my list of materials involving my T5 DIY are:
-(1) 3X24watt ballast (daylight 10,000K) $20
-(1) 2X24watt ballast (460 NM) $20
-(5) pairs of end caps $50
-(5) pairs of standoffs $25
-(2) power cords $10?
-(5) Sunlight Supply (Aquactinics) reflectors (they are 2" width as i am space constrained) $100
-(3) Slim Paq 10,000K bulbs $35
-(2) Slim Paq 460NM bulbs $25
total: $285
anything im missing?
hopefully with 5X24watt T5 bulbs over my tank i can keep everything up to LPS and a few SPS. the reflectors are a big part and i've heard if your space constrained (like i am) then the SS ones are the way to go.
also if anybody knows where to get any of the supplies i have listed for cheaper...could you please PM me? any comments, ideas, or help on this project would be appreciated...thanks.

wangotango

Aquactinics reflectors are about is good as you're going to get. I would skip the Slimpaq lamps though.
I'm running a 5-bulb fixture on my tank and this is what I'm running:
ATI Aquablue Special
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Procolor
ATI Blue Plus
ATI Aquablue Special
Overall it gives a crisp white/pale blue look with crazy PAR. You could swap out one of the Blue Plus for an actinic (like the UVL) for a little extra pop.
-Justin

gio28

i looked at that bulb combination and i think its a great mixture. 2 ATI aquablue special 12,000 K bulbs would give the daylight look, while the aquablue ATI plus bulbs would make my corals look great. and the procolor will bring out the true color of everything. i just dont want it to be too blue but i dont think thats the case because theres 2 white and 2 blue bulbs. and then the redish one to keep a natural look. i think i will try that combination...thanks. and crazy par means more light dependent corals like LPS and SPS!

gio28

wango, could you post a pic of your tank under the lights you have for your T5 combination you are using?