How much to feed anemone?

wwfstyle

I got a Rose Tip, and a another that looks simular but longer tenticals just the othr day and they look GREAT. I just fed them each 2 krill and they ate that in no time at all. I was wondering how many krill should I be giveing them? I asked the lfs what food he has been feeding them and he said krill so I was thinking that I should continue but not quite sure how often or how much. IT was awsome to watch what I beleive is a long tenticle grab the krill and had it gone in just a short time.
Also how big can a rose tip get? Will they start spliting or anything or anything that would be cool to keep an eye out on? I like to see the rose tip down towards the bottom of the tank and the long tentical up near the top of the tank.

broncofish

IMO, and many marine biologists opinions anemones eat frequently in small amounts. If you want him/her to split I would say feed one krill in the morning, and one at night, if it does not digest them all the way it is to much, and could cause a mouth infection. Makes sure there is plenty of water movement by it to clear away waste. If you see that it is just poopin all the time it may be to much food and cut back from there.
This is just my opinion, and how I would prep my anemones for splitting.

T

thomas712

Its always a debated question isn't it?
Personally I feel that many overfeed their anemones, but much of it also depends on just how much lighting you have as well as other tank conditions. Over feeding can result in poor water quality.
In the case of BTA's, I've found that I can go up to 2 months without feeding them, they usually look happier when I do after that amount of time. Otherwise 2 or 3 times per week is about normal for most people to feed. Under normal conditions I firmly beleive that there is no substitute for lighting, stuffing an anemone with food isn't going to replace poor lighting for a photosynthetic animal.
If your desire is to see them split then the 3 times per week can help accomplish this task, but I would also vary the diet, not just krill.
Thomas

wwfstyle

Thomas what else would you feed them besides krill? My lighting I beleive is good I have 2 175 15k XM MH and 2 atinics. in my 75.

T

thomas712

Mysis shrimp, silversides, frozen plankton, diced cocktail shrimp, scallops, ..anything along those lines thats meaty.. just no brine shrimp.