How Much to Feed ?????

blcard

I have the following in a 170:
2-3" Blue Hippo Tangs
1-3" Rock Beauty Angel
4-1" Chromis
1-1" Royal Gramma
2-2" Clown Fish
I also have a very large Long Tenacle Anemone and a medium sized Atlantic Bubble Tip, but they seem to be doing great with the MH's and I haven't needed to feed them at all.
I've been feeding one cube of mysis shrimp each day, but since a recently added the second tang and the angel it seems like they are starving.
Although feeding is more exciting, more like pirahnas then anything, I'm concerned that if they aren't getting enough it could cause stress and other problems.

scubaguy

I feed every other day. You honestly need to do a variety also. Raw shrimp, Clams, Silversides, flake food(Very Little), blood worms, mysis Shrimp, and for the tangs sheet of dried seaweed every day on a clip. IMO Do a search of DIY food. Beth has a good recipe and so do some others.

mcbdz

It would help to add more variety to their diet. Go to your lfs and get different kinds of food. The formula 1 & 2 are good and there is also a multi frozen pack. Rotate the food and also add a 2''x2'' sheet of algea(nori) to a clip or rubberband to a rock each day. You fish will always act hungery though. THEY ARE BIG PIGS
. Mine beg like puppies.

mcbdz

Oh Yeah, if you do a search on here you can also get recipes for making your own fish food. Lots of people like to do this so you can taylor it to your own fish.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by jrthomas40
how do you feed a silverside to a BTA??
Lay it right in there. I feed once per day. Some people do two smaller feedings. With tangs, I would say to do two small feedings each day. A tiny one in the morning, then a larger feeding in the evening with this feeding being soaked in vitamines. Mysis is no where near adequate. Pick up frozen formula foods or make your own. The algae sheets are important too as tangs are grazers that pick all day long.