how much water flow is needed in a 75 gal FOWLR? And how much live rock?

chicagojb

Right now I have a 900gph in my sump and and a Koralia 750gph in the tank do I need more?
And second how much live rock on average for a healthy tank?
Thanks again. Love this sight great info.

snakeblitz33

Hello there! And if no one has said it yet, welcome to the forums!
I like a lot of live rock in my tanks, I usually stack the entire back wall all the way up to 6" of the water most of the time. I like the look, and the filtration power of all of the rock. That's usually around 1 1/2 pounds to 2 pound per gallon. A mix of 50% base rock and 50% live rock will save you some money upon start up.
Now a days, these youngsters around here opt for very little live rock, piled up in sections and then they spread coral out around it. Then they have to use oversized skimmers, oversized fuges, and all kinds of chemical filtration media to handle their overloaded underbiologically filtered tanks. But, it's whatever you want to do these days.
For a 75g FOWLR tank, you're right at the minimum flow. Though, if you add more live rock and another Koralia 750gph, you'de be right at where I'de like to be if it was my tank.

chicagojb

Cool, I just started with one Koralia 750 to see how much power it had thought another one wouldn't hurt. Another question I had is where to position them? Do you put them behind your live rock so it pushes the water through? Or do you let it blow towards the open parts of the tank?
Thank again for the advice.

rynosreef

putting ur power heads really depends on what ur wanting. i have one blowing right at my live rock. but thats to give my sps corals the flow they need. also have to more heads, one blowing behind the rock work and one blowing to the head thats blowing at my sps almost like a circle. they all work together to get the flow i need for how and what i got.

snakeblitz33

Typically for a fish only tank, you only need enough flow to kick up detritus off the sand and into your filtration system. If you really truely want a healthy tank, get yourself a little Maxijet 1200 powerhead and position it in the right corner of the tank, behind some live rock and have it blow water behind the live rock and through the rocks. This keeps the water behind your rocks from having dead spots. Then, in the right corner, have one of your powerheads blow across the top of the water. Don't let it blow water up to the surface, but across the surface. This creates a really oxygen rich environment, which is a big benefit. The powerhead on the top corner left side of the tank should blow from the top down to the bottom right corner of the tank, around the front of your live rock and front glass. This kind of configuration eliminates most dead spots. Any minor ones caused by your aquascape can usually be delt with by your clean up crew.

chicagojb

PLEASE do not post links to competitors....You may post a picture or description of the item though :)
Is this the right powerhead?

snakeblitz33

The MaxiJet1200 at 295gph is the correct one. When you place it in the tank, turn it where the intake is pointing up, and has the plastic guard on it. This keeps it from sucking in sand and where snails and critters can't get sucked into it.

jsmoser98

I'm confused SnakeBlitz33... were you saying they would be good with just the 2 of the Maxijet 1200 at 295gph & his return pump? Or those 2 on top of the 750gph? My son has a 55 gal FOWLR tank set up with lots of rock, & we are trying to figure out what he needs for flow on top of his return pump that blows across the top of the tank.