How much weight is too much for stand

stdreb27

So back in the day my grandpa build a microwave stand. I don't know what kind of wood. But lets just say it probably wasn't a hardwood.
So I've been using it as a stand for my 20 gallon. I am thinking about building a frag tank. And the tank is a 50 gallon. So we are looking at around 500 pounds. I can stand on the stand with out even a creak. But he build the corners with 1 by 2's. So supporting the top level is 8 1 by 2

so do you think it will hold a tank?

loopy101

i work with wood as a hobby. i would say they built things strong back in the olden days but if you decide to use it i would reiforce the legs. the question isnt really will it hold the tank and 500 lbs for a 50 gal is kinda on the light side of weighing the tank. but do you really want to take a chance that the lumber has a crack int he leg that you cant see and come home to see your tank crashed on the floor?
i would say if your questioning it i wouldnt take the chance on it. i also believe when it comes to needing something to be strong i over do it just so i dont have to worry about it!
just my 2 cents! hope it helps

pezenfuego

When in doubt, throw it out. The way I look at it, flood restoration and replacing the tank itself wouldn't be worth the risk. Then again, maybe it can be reinforced and be completely fine
Whatever you do...POST PICS
A 55 frag tank would look awesome.

dragonzim

I would throw a 2x2 pice of lumber onto the inside of those legs at the very least if you want to use it.

darknes

Are there cross supports between the legs of the stand? My biggest concern would be with shear stresses (50 gallon tank resting on it, and then it gets bumped on the side, causing the stand to collapse).

veni vidi vici

Looks like 1x4 legs.One full and one ripped down to 2-3/4",probably pine.
I would say yes to holding a 20 gal. if you add a some 1x spreaders to keep the legs from shifting outward and depending on the thickness of the plywood top maybe adding a reinforcing brace under the ply wood.
Just my 2¢