How much??

mashadar

OK:
I am thinking about starting something small - maybe a 20 gallon.
I have been getting some recommendations to start out with a large one. I see people having 50 gal, 120gal, etc.
So for the people who have ones that big, how much money have you poured into it????? I'm just curious?
I DO understand that the total spent would very between board members - I'm just curious. Thanks for the help.

cprdnick

If you're smart you try not to remember how much you have spent and you burn all receipts. The main thing is that the smaller the tank, the harder it is to keep in line and the more attention and time it requires. The larger the tank then the more room for errors. Remember that.
Clint

donmgicwon

Yea, I have a 90 that I started a little over 3 months ago and I've already spent over $3000.00. This hobby is not cheap. I'm currently in the planning stages of a receipt burning ceremony.

xpetex

haha yea my 60 gallon has run me just about 2,000$$$$$(this includes protein skimmer, live rock, fish ect.) once it was established though, it was truly worth it. and yes, the bigger the better(who am i to talk i have a 60 gal?!) good luck hope everything works out.
p.s...i keep a 20 gallon reef as well and it hasent presented any problems. i actually had a parasite problem in my 60 gal and NOT in my 20 so you never know. just remeber the golden rule of stocking your tank...1 inch of fish every 4 gallons i believe?(correct me if im wrong)
good luck!!!

samantha68

I have a 125 g and i agree with burning all reciepts lol
i'll do my best to give you an idea of my cost tho
tank 320.00
stand 140.00 (just plan ugly tube stand)
crushed coral 40.00
filters 300.00
heaters 70.00
protein skimmer 150.00
light 200.00 waiting to get next strip another 200.00
glass top 60.00
salt 80.00
live rock 200.00 to start
travetine rock 60.00 (my choice people no need to attack lol)
that is a cheap basic set up for a 125gallon hope i helped

samantha68

then you will need to add more live rock etc then you get into the fish,urchins,star fish,anenomes,crabs,snails etc what ever your choice is
My list of $ was just to do a cheap start up ..I now have alot more into it ....

fulcrum

I have two large tanks, a 92 gal corner tank, and a 125 gal. long. I highly reccomend a larger system for stability and ease of maintenence. I spent about $3000 on both....give or take. (and god only knows how much since then). I'm a bit of a stickler for buying the best equipment (iwaki pumps, euroreef skimmers, maxijet powerheads, fiji liverock, hundreds of pounds of aragalive sand, MH/PC combo lighting fixtures, etc.) If the things I just listed dont sound familiar to you, then you should probably do alot more research. There are plenty of products out there that perform very well, you dont have to buy the "best," but dont buy the cheapest....there's usually a reason its the cheapest.
You dont have to build a large tank to build a good one. Find out what the best equipment is, then build you system based on what you can afford.
It really all depends on what you want your system to do. If you want to create a very self sustaining, natural environment then you cant skimp on good lights, live rock, live sand or a VERY good skimmer. If you want a decorative fish only tank, then your investment requirements go down, but so does the quality of life for your tank inhabitants.
The key is to do your research, pay attention to the what the people on this board say, and assess you monetary abilities. The two worst things you can do are 1) create a system you cant afford to run, or 2) build a cheap system that doesnt keep fish happy and healthy.
I started my 125 gal thinking I knew what I was doing. I have since learned alot about the value of sacrificing aesthetics for function. The tank I have now, is very different from the tank I started with, and I owe 99% of that to this board.

saltyamy

My son and I started a 30 gal. about 3 mos. ago - have spent about $1000 - we have the tank, stand, filter, heater, 15 lbs. lr, substrate, powerhead, a tomatoe clown and a dartfish, a few hermit crabs, several snails, turbo snail, test kits. Our next investment will probably be a protein skimmer and then better lighting for corals sometime later this summer (son's birthday present). The initial outlay was about $500 to get the tank up and running with nothing in it but 8 lbs. lr and substrate and a couple of damsels to cycle the tank.

barry cuda

I'm well over $2,000 for my 100-gal and don't even have fish in it yet. And that's with saving some money by getting an inexpensive tank/stand, using base rock and less live rock, etc. I could have gotten by with less, but considering that saltwater fish cost between $12 and $100 or more, why try to save money by compromising life support?

B

billb

I read somewhere a set-up that includes everything would eventually run you about $30 - 45 per gallon. From what Iv'e seen thats a good guestimate...not including very high-end and low-end set-ups..